Talk

Advanced search

21 months and not really talking

(8 Posts)
Threesoundslikealot Tue 17-Feb-15 10:22:42

DS is 21 months and not really talking. He is third child in the family, siblings 3 and 12.

He says perhaps 6-10 words - no, Maaa (mummy), gah (car), more, door, meee (when asked eg who wants lunch?), shoos, bye, and occasionally chiz (cheese), and others occasionally as a one off but not repeated.

He follows instructions, knows his name, like songs although doesn't really join in, seems quite cheery, and although he has the occasional tantrum when it's obvious he just can't communicate his needs, he's generally not agitated about much. He's affectionate and friendly. But he seems a long way behind on speech milestones - nowhere near sentences, making himself understood through words, etc.

He has a Spanish nanny and understands Spanish words, although doesn't use those either. He spends most of his time with another little boy about a month older, whose language is much better, and his big sister, when not with us.

When should we start worrying? Obviously I already have a bit, but this could just be paranoia!

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 17-Feb-15 11:20:40

My DS3 didn't really speak until 2, no proper sentences until around 3, so quite late (he will be 4 on Friday smile).

This was not dissimilar to DS1, but in marked contrast to DS2, who spoke early and very fluently. All I can say is that it has gradually improved and he now talks a great deal, in quite long and complex sentences. He is seeing a SALT as his speech is quite unclear in certain areas but he understands a huge amount and is saying loads, just not always very clearly (certain sounds only).

I wasn't particularly worried about his slowness to talk (he certainly managed to make himself understood grin), bit more concerned about the lack of clarity (hence the SALT) as he is starting school this year and I want him to be understood when he speaks!

I would try not to worry, but certainly there is no harm in speaking to your HV (if any good - I am lucky and mine is a gem) or nursery (if DS attends?) to see what they think and if they have any suggestions.

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 17-Feb-15 11:22:10

Sorry, just seen he has a nanny, so presumably no nursery - so maybe HV as first port of call?

Threesoundslikealot Tue 17-Feb-15 11:23:30

Hmm, thanks. No nursery, and I do wonder whether that would help him get a bit more verbal. Our HVs are useless, although the one that does the developmental checks is much better, so I suppose I'm hanging in a bit for his two year check with her!

Glad your DS3 is chattering now.

squiz81 Tue 17-Feb-15 17:08:50

My ds1 couldn't talk at 21 months, everything was a uhhh uhhh noise. He did say mum and dad and he had his own fairly complex sign language.

At the 2 year check the hv wasn't concerned but sent us on a course at our local sure start centre as I had raised it as a concern. It was 6 weeks long and the staff had been trained by speech therapists. It followed the OWL technique (observe, wait, listen) if you google that you should get some techniques.

At 2.5 years, I'd say in the space of 2 weeks ds1 started talking and caught up with his peers. It was ridiculously quick! It started with him repeating words back to us or attempting to and went from there. He is now 3.3 years and VERY talkative with a good vocabulary.

LissieD Wed 18-Feb-15 06:11:13

My dd only started to say mummy at 21 months. She didn't really have any other words except no and poo. She did have a lot of baby sign and a wide range of animal noises. I was a bit worried. She still only had a handful of words when she turned 2 but in the last couple of months her language has just exploded and now at 2.4 she's speaking in long sentences and has hundreds of words!! It's been a sudden and massive leap. The health visitor said not to worry until 2 and half.

tumbletumble Wed 18-Feb-15 09:16:40

My DS2 didn't really have any words at 21 months. I did worry about it, but he's fine now (age 5).

Threesoundslikealot Wed 18-Feb-15 09:59:27

Thank you for all the reassuring posts. I will wait till the two year check and see what is said then. I've found out too that there are local speech development play sessions run by SALTs than you can self-refer to here, so will bear that in mind. I will be on mat leave in April so able to take him to that sort of thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: