Talk

Advanced search

6 year old lack of focus - postive stories needed please

(12 Posts)
Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 09:07:17

Hello - please be gentle as I feel fragile. My DS YR2 is not focusing as he should at school. He has got better since reception, but he is a daydreamer and I was called in last week to say they think it would be a good idea to do an Ed Psych report. I am feeling very stressed about this and am hoping that this is something which will pass/will get better. Does anyone have any experiences like this? Thanks

VLou77 Thu 12-Feb-15 11:38:51

Hi, you're not alone, my daughter was like that, (now in year 3), I don't think it's an uncommon thing.
She is now lots better, fortunately she's had good teachers, and is better at concentrating. It's just a skill she's learned. I'm sure your DS will too.
What's an Ed Psych report?

Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 12:38:44

Hi VLou77 It is an Educational Psychologist report which shows how your child learns/IQ/strengths & weaknesses etc.

Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 16:33:15

Bump!

Duckdeamon Thu 12-Feb-15 16:35:22

It's good that the school are getting advice, are they organising and paying for it? Have the teachers explained their concerns, eg is it just behaviour or is he behind?

Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 16:44:34

They want us to do it (which is expensive) - it is a small private school. They are concerned he loses focus in lessons and sometimes doesn't finish his work (or needs reminding to stay on task). I think he is taking in more than the output at the moment. He is doing fine with maths and reading. writing a struggle, but has very much improved.

Duckdeamon Thu 12-Feb-15 16:48:24

Not great that they want you to pay! Some private schools are not great at SEN stuff. Is there a Senco, are they doing anything to help him? I guess you need to consider for yourself whether you are concerned.

Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 16:57:49

I agree! There is a SENCO. I suppose I am concerned at the moment - but wish I had a crystal ball to see whether this is a "problem" or just something he will grow out of. Ed Psych reports do not come cheap!

oobedobe Thu 12-Feb-15 18:31:00

Reading with interest as I am having the same issue with my 6 yo. Her teacher wants to talk with me, she is starting to have concerns that something beyond the normal distracted child is going on.
While I don't feel my DD1 does fit the description for ADD, there is no doubting that she has issues with listening and getting what needs to be done done (in class and at home) - she is a bit of a social butterfly so the other kids are very distracting!
On the upside if there is an issue obviously we need to look at it and get her the help she needs, I don't want her to struggle.
Sounds tough if you have to pay for a special report, but surely they wouldn't suggest it unless they thought it worth while?

loveyoutothemoon Thu 12-Feb-15 19:19:55

Does the school have a teaching assistant? Sounds a bit extreme what they're suggesting.

Toastandsympathy Thu 12-Feb-15 20:41:48

They do have a teaching assistant in the class. I hope it is interesting and helpful but more than anything else I am trying desperately to think of ways to get DS to keep on task & focus

Duckdeamon Fri 13-Feb-15 11:53:28

The cost might be relatively small compared with fees! But before shelling out I would be wanting much more detail on the issues (especially as they relate to attainment) and reviewing the SEN policy, eg if it isn't transparent that parents will be asked to pay for assessment then it should be! Are there other (current or former) parents you know there with DC with possible SEN? You could have a quiet word about how they feel the school has been.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: