Talk

Advanced search

Dummy at bedtime: 4 yo

(9 Posts)
Cbell Thu 12-Feb-15 02:49:17

My DD is 4yo and still has a dummy at bedtime.

She used to have one in the car but that stopped recently when we moved her into a 'big girl seat'. There was a little moaning but nothing too bad.

However, she has several dummies at night and I absolutely know she will be devastated (not forever) when we take them away.

Has anyone had success with allowing a child to give up dummies at own accord? What age?

BabyHaribo Thu 12-Feb-15 03:00:31

No advice but following.

DS is 3 and still using his dummy shock

iheartpedropony Thu 12-Feb-15 06:32:19

Following. DD is 3.11. We are talking up the dummy fairy and fear we will have to just go for it as the prospect of a bride isn't enough. I've never heard of a teenager with one so I think we will all be fine - I do wonder if we are our own worst critics?

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 12-Feb-15 06:35:15

DD is currently putting hers under the pillow for the dummy fairy. The fairy leaves a coin and takes them to the babies in hospital. Not sure if it will work but she knows she needs to give it up as she's 5. Hasn't affected her teeth or speech but have been worried about it for quite a while.

iheartpedropony Thu 12-Feb-15 06:36:11

*bribe not bride.

Also DD is 3.10, not 3.11. Almost the same thing though, very near 4!

merlehaggard Thu 12-Feb-15 06:45:58

My son is 4 years 2 months and we took dummies away 2/3 months ago on the advice of speech therapist. To be honest, I was waiting to be told but couldn't quite bring myself to do it otherwise. I was so surprised at how easy it was, because he was so attached to them. I had taken them away from my two DD's when they were only 2 and they were fine by the 3rd night and I expected similar with a very bad first night. However, because he was older, I could explain it more (he knew the speech therapist had said not to have it if he wanted to speak better) and he spent a bit of time thinking about what little toy I would buy when he was "brave". He was a bit sad that first night but just had a little moan, didn't wake up at all, was a bit sad again on and off the next day but after that, it was pretty much forgotten. I still can't believe how easy it was and wish I'd done it sooner.

nottheOP Thu 12-Feb-15 06:53:59

I also just threw them away when I thought he was too old.

BoFo Thu 12-Feb-15 16:11:01

I was really anxious about the dummy too because although DS was approaching 4 his dummy use was creeping up going from just night time to wanting it in the car/for quiet time.

A week before DS' 4th birthday we went cold turkey, chucking out all dummies.

It was hard for a night or two but he's forgotten about them now two months on.

what's encouraging is that your DD gave up the car dummy and so there's every chance she'll do the same with the night time dummy.

I can't comment of letting kids give up on their own accord - and I'm not sure they would - but the bite the bullet approach seems to work quickly and might be worth a shot. At least you won't be worrying about your DD having a dummy for years.

Chilli81 Thu 12-Feb-15 19:41:21

my ds 1 is 3.8yrs and only has it at night but he sleeps in the same room as ds2 who is 15 months and has a dummy. am i being too soft thinking it would be harsh taking it off him while his nrother still has it?
btw so glad i saw this thread as i just saw another dummy thread with a few judgy responses and was feeling like a crap mum confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: