Talk

Advanced search

11 yr old food, hair, development

(19 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 11-Feb-15 22:35:41

Sorry about the stupid title but have 2 questions to ask and thought i'd lump them together.

First of all, very greasy hair. She washes it every day and later in the day it looks like it hasn't been washed in a week and you could fry chips in the grease.
I have tried every type of shampoo and nothing seems to help.
It isn't over washed as heaven forbid she leaves it a day and if it could be any worse it is.
Any suggestions.

next, dd is very broad across the shoulders almost like a male figure that goes out from the waist to very broad shoulders as you go up.
She is a big build and chubby at the moment, partly due to being a bit over weight but also hormones and periods.
I don't know how much she weighs as I know she will be obsessed if I start doing this and for her it isn't a good way forward.

So what do your 11 year old girls eat on a typical day and tips for losing a couple of pounds.
She likes lots of fruit and veg, none she won't eat.

Violetta007 Wed 11-Feb-15 22:41:45

I think a very strong shampoo to break the grease. Mine was using baby/kids shampoos and they didn't cut the mustard. Also dry shampoo might help a bit? Spray it on when desperate

Food wise what do you feed her?

Mine eats lots of veg, whole grains, protein. Sweets on a Saturday.

drinkyourmilk Wed 11-Feb-15 22:45:13

For her hair check that she massages the shampoo into scalp, like at the hairdressers, since I've been doing that my hair is so much better in the evenings. Before it was just like your daughters. Don't forget that hormones will play a part in it too.

DeanKoontz Wed 11-Feb-15 22:46:17

I don't know about the hair, dd washes hers every other day in Dr Organic or Be Curly and it's ok.

She's very slim though, here's what she ate today, which is pretty typical:

B: 1 piece of Nutella wholemeal toast, a frube.
L: 2 hummus wraps, 1 carton on Mango juice, a frube, some mixed nuts and seeds, a tangerine
T: 2 fishfingers, boiled potatoes and butter, salad.
Snacks: bar of chocolate and a slice of carrot cake.

water to drink

She is very active though, doing about an hour of activity each night, plus walking to and from school and is active in her play.

Can you increase the amount of activity she does?

Violetta007 Wed 11-Feb-15 23:01:29

DD 10 ate

Breakfast - 2 oatabix with milk

Lunch at school - tuna mayo and cucumber in a wholemeal wrap. Veg sticks and homous. Nuts. Blueberries.

Snack after school - cheese and apple. Oatcakes.

Meal - bean chilli with brown rice and Greek yogurt. Sorbet made from berries/honey

Supper - cheese

helensburgh Wed 11-Feb-15 23:07:13

Another 11 year old with greasy hair, I find head and shoulders works well.

Food today:

Hot cross bun . Flavoured water

2 slices of melon

1 ham roll
1 yogurt tube
Fruit shoot
1 banana

1 packet walkers crisps
1 apple
1 satsuma
1 blue riband biscuit

1 homemade burger in a bun, cheese and salad
Homemade chips
Coleslaw
More salad
Water

Mini magnum ice cream
Blueberries
Water

She is small height for age, average weight for height.

Ahchoo Wed 11-Feb-15 23:17:00

Yes to the greasy hair. Dd washes it every day with aussie shampoo and conditioner, making sure she works the shampoo into a good lather and only putting condioner on the roots.

today dd ate oatibix for breakfast. Packed lunch at school - tomato soup in flask, pot of salad (cucumber, tomatoes, sweetcorn), mango and orange smoothie, pot of kiwi, packet of quavers, ham sandwich, bottle of water. Dinner was omlette with cheese, mushrooms and peppers with chips and baked beans. She snacked on some dried fruit and a couple of rich tea biscuits. She's slim but it's probably down to genes more than anything else as she isn't particularly active.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 11-Feb-15 23:51:11

Thanks for the hair advice I will start with some dry for emergencies and will find the strongest i can.

OMG food wise, she is eating far too much looking at your posts.
I don't give her junk food, but she doesn't stop eating and is always hungry.
probably because she shot up such a lot over a short period of time, a good 4 inches. shock and went from average build to very broad and stocky.
Then got hungry, then over weight.

Right I'm onto it, apart from extra exercise can anybody point me in the right direction for the right amount of each food group per day please?
obviously, I don't want to cut out anything that she needs.

Is a pint of semi milk too much for example. This is cereal, drink before bed.
Other dairy like yoghurt, cheese

She doesn't have sugary drinks apart from the odd cordial, but it is odd.
Does freah fruit juice have too much sugar? she likes apple juice.

Thanks very much for sharing your lists, it is obvious my dd is eating far too much.

Violetta007 Thu 12-Feb-15 06:42:53

Yes you're right, apple juice is bad for teeth. Full of sugar. We stopped buying it. Your DD needs (her) palm size of protein at each meal. Protein will make her feel fuller then carbs. So eggs or cheese or kippers with grilled tomatoes or a slice of wholemeal bread for breakfast might be better?

Rather then officially put her on a diet which could effect her emotionally, why not say you are aiming to improve the whole families eating - so loads of veg, berries, veg sticks and protein at each meal.

You can also aim to get everyone fitter. As an adult you are meant to walk 1000 steps a day (about 5 miles) and she's meant to do an hour a day. Could an evening walk daily together help towards this goal

Lastly why is she eating in the evenings? Is it boredom? Habit? Does she feel down about something and food peps her up?

TurnOverTheTv Thu 12-Feb-15 06:53:14

Could you make a list of what she ate yesterday? It might be helpful to get it all down so people can see carbs/protein/veg ratios

18yearstooold Thu 12-Feb-15 06:55:01

I'm looking at some of these daily meals and thinking my dd, who isn't overweight, would be starving

Yesterday she had

Breakfast -porridge and blueberries

Break -breakfast biscuits

Lunch -roast 'meat' school dinner with veg and flapjack for pudding

After school snack -2 crackers with cheese

Tea -chicken breast stuffed with red peppers, pesto & mozzarella with cous cous salad

Drinks -water, water and more water

She's 98th centile for height and 75th for weight

In terms of the greasy hair I find blow drying rather than leaving it to dry naturally helps and spraying dry shampoo as soon as its dry keeps it looking clean longer than spraying onto the grease

Cabbagesaregreen Thu 12-Feb-15 07:05:40

Dd is 11 and on something like 35 centile for weight - know this as she is weighed regularly at hospital. She eats half a pie pace of toast with marmite no butter for breakfast. Packed lunch is wrap with cheese, crisps, grapes and blueberries. She has snack in after school clubs which might be pancakes or something on toast. At home she'll have veg, mashed potatoes and gammon for example. Pudding might be ice cream. She might have a snack before bed. she only drinks water.
She has health issues so has to be careful of what she eats and has never eaten until she is stuffed.

Violetta007 Thu 12-Feb-15 07:10:09

My DD aged 10 is on the 50th percentile for height and the 25th for weight. She eats well but doesn't gorge herself silly.

Artandco Thu 12-Feb-15 07:15:46

Is she using a shampoo that is sls free? If not I would try one

defineme Thu 12-Feb-15 07:24:44

The nhs website does say how many calories a day an 11 yeaar old should have...between 1400 to 2000 a day, but yes you need to be subtle or she will have a problem.
my 12 yrold ds1 has asd and finds it very hard not to eat all day. But he has a massive walk to school, lots of sport activities and I prepay his dinners so he doesn't need cash..lots of his mates buy crap on the way to school just like I did as a fat 11 yr old! I also hide any treats and try and give him food that willfill him up for longer...whowholemeal pasta, brown rice, oats, beans and protein.

Back2Two Thu 12-Feb-15 07:29:08

Rememebr that fruit sugars are still sugars (without sounding like a prat) and of course fruit juice the same.

Go more on the veg than fruit.

But exercise is probably the key.

Kim82 Thu 12-Feb-15 07:30:00

My dd is 10 and is a skinny little thing yet eats like a horse and is incredibly fussy when it comes to food. She is very active and always out on her bike and roller blades.

Yesterday she ate:

Breakfast - 2 weetabix
Snack at school - 1 slice toast
Dinner - roast beef sandwich, yoghurt, cereal bar, crisps and 2 satsumas
Snack after school - 3 or 4 breadsticks
Tea - pizza and beans
Dessert - 2 satsumas, a banana and 3 choc chip cookies.
Before bed - bowl of shreddies

She drinks mainly water or flavoured water, has a carton of apple or orange juice with her lunch and a glass of Vimto with her tea.

Her hair does get very greasy if she doesn't wash it every 2 or 3 days, she just uses whichever shampoo and conditioner I have.

MonstersIncq Thu 12-Feb-15 07:33:40

Definitely definitely definitely lose the apple juice. My family are very slim. Apart from my brother who has been overweight all his life. When he was a child quite extremely. He drank gallons of Apple juice. My mum always blames this for the problem as he and I ate pretty much the same apart from the juice. Obviously she's exaggerating and he just has different genes but it will have been a contributing factor when he was little. Fruit juice is so so full of sugar. Water water water!

Ahchoo Thu 12-Feb-15 09:24:14

Oh yes I agree with others in that you shouldn't make a 'thing' of it as it could really affect her negatively. They're so sensitivedat this age particularly.

I would swap any unhealthy snacks for healthy ones. Dd loves to snack on carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks with houmous, dried fruit, natural yogurt and muesli, boiled egg and wholemeal toast. and I make oat biscuits with oats, wholemeal flour, butter and a little syrup - good for energy and very filling.

as others have said, why not make it a family thing where you all try to eat well and get more active. Also, what I've found is tgat it's beat not to have sugary, fatty things in the house at all. If they're there it's a temptation - that's as much for me as the dc, my willpower is crap! grin

I think fruit juice would be ok once in a while? My dd also loves apple juice and orange too. But we buy it maybe once a month. I'm lucky in that she loves water to drink.

what sort of things does she do on the weekend? We like to go on walks to the local coastal path or nature reserve. Even walking round the shops is moving! Does she enjoy swimming? Cycling? We have a wii and hsve the Wii Fit games and the Just Dance games which are fab for indoor fitness and as they're fun you don't feel like you're exercising. Great for the whole family to join in too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: