Advanced search

2.5 dd and tantrums

(3 Posts)
LittleMissRayofHope Wed 11-Feb-15 13:55:37

I had a very well behaved little girl. She was patient and polite.
Then she woke up one morning about 2 weeks ago and said 'I want my breakfast mummy' and then about 1 second later was in a full blown kicking screaming crying hitting throwing tantrum.
This surprised me as she had no reason to be so upset and hadn't really done this before (the odd occassion of course). Now this behaviour happens at every mealtime and frequently through out the day.
It's as if she has suddenly lost the concept of something taking time to be made. She has asked and as it hasn't materialised instantly she is tantruming and will not be consoled, calmed or placated. All attempts to speak to, comfort or distract are met with vicious hits slaps and louder screaming.

I've been sat her on the sofa while she rolls around the floor screaming 'I want to eat it' for about 4 mins now as she wants lunch (she only just woke from her nap and did have a snack before) but refused to give me time to get it.

I don't believe in rewarding tantrums. I'm not going to just dismiss this behaviour. But I am left with absolutely no clue how to tackle it. H says I am abusing her by letting her be distressed and cry and should be doing anything I can to calm her down. I agree she needs calming but I refuse to be treated violently and aggressively so I'm at a loss of how to resolve this!!

VashtaNerada Wed 11-Feb-15 13:57:45

Sounds fairly typical at 2.5 to me! I think the truth is you just find a balance between being too strict and too soft. She's still little so can't be expected to express her emotions in an adult way, but equally you can't give in to every whim because you'd never get anything done!

LittleMissRayofHope Wed 11-Feb-15 14:34:08

I let her cry herself out really. Took about 18 mins. Then she said sorry and we got her lunch. Put her in high chair and gave her lunch... Full on screaming crying - this time she decided she wants her brother to wake up! Cried and screamed - I mean screamed. Short sharp high pitched bursts. Open mouthed screaming to be as loud as she can be. Turns into yelling for the sake of yelling. Again, took around 8 mins to calm her down.

Now she isn't sitting there like butter wouldn't melt and eating her lunch like a little angel. I just don't get it and it's exhausting.

3 meals a day.... Plus snacks sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now