Talk

Advanced search

What are your to 5 tips for dealing with tantrums? And what age do tantrums tail off?

(8 Posts)
milkyman Sun 08-Feb-15 09:45:54

My 2.3 yr old ds tantrums all the time. He's been poorly recently and we have allowed him lots of tv, dinner on the sofa... So now he expects it all the time. He is not veryverbal and I know it's normal but when do things improve?

Ineedmorepatience Sun 08-Feb-15 21:44:17

Top 5 tips for tantrums....

1] Ignore
2] Ignore
3] Ignore
4) Ignore
5) Ignore

Oh and one for good luck, stay strong, this to shall pass wink

Glossyflower Sun 08-Feb-15 22:30:52

Yep defo ignore or distract xxx

AuditAngel Sun 08-Feb-15 22:43:40

Do not give in
Do not make a rod for your own back
Do not resort to bribery
"because I said so" is a legitimate reason
Ignore

forago Sun 08-Feb-15 22:46:46

soon smile

my 3 had some humdingers from 18m-2/3 but I don't remember any much after 3 it's replaced by other PITA behaviour but you don't need to know that right now

PopularNamesInclude Sun 08-Feb-15 22:54:57

Ignore and do so with iron consistency. Never, ever give in to a demand that resulted in a tantrum. Never apologise for ignoring the tantrum. (Seriously, people do this.) and hang in there.

LittleBlueHermit Mon 09-Feb-15 06:33:09

If he's not very verbal, make sure you acknowledge what he wants. You don't have to agree to it, obviously, but I've found DD (same age as your DS) gets much more worked up if she thinks you haven't understood her demands.

Offer alternatives instead of just saying no.

Stay calm (easier said than done!), don't yell, and don't try to talk/reason/bribe them out of it.

No long complicated explanations. Stick to short simple statements.

Unfortunately there's no magic bullet, and different tactics will work for different kids.

littleraysofsunshine Mon 09-Feb-15 07:31:53

My dd2 is 2y8m and she's been having phases of hot tempers.. My eldest girl was four in October, and though she had tantrums it was as bad as what dd2 can get like. All different I guess and she's a middle child if that means much., plus she's still teething three molars, it's only ever about being told no, or sharing situTuons. Not a lot but when she does she can be fierce. Including pinching dd1! Dd1 like I said is four and hers are very far and few in between. But I will see how dd2 goes and if it's just individual?

Who knows I'm on baby number three and still working it out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: