Talk

Advanced search

DS scared of weeing in the bath

(6 Posts)
mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 07-Feb-15 20:37:08

DS is 20m and barring the occasional hissy fit when overtired/under the weather has always enjoyed the bath, which he has every evening.

About a week ago he weed on getting into the bath - far from the first time, and as usual there was no reaction in particular from DH, me or DD(5) - a "oh look, DS has done a wee - what toy would you like in the bath DS?" or something like that. However on this particular occasion, which as I say was nothing at all out of the ordinary, DS got really upset and couldn't be distracted/calmed - just wanted to come out of the bath and then calmed down fairly quickly.

Ever since then he has been much less happy about going in the bath than usual, to the extent that we've been just popping him in while running a flannel over him and then straight out, and today I just had him on the bath mat by the side and gave him a quick wipe with the flannel there. He seems anxious about weeing in connection with the bath - as soon as his nappy is taken off ready for the bath he clutches his penis and that seems connected with his unhappiness.

I wondered whether he might have a UTI or something else causing him pain in the penis area either generally or specifically when he wees, but he's not more concerned about it at other times than before and he must be weeing into his nappy without discomfort - there's no otherwise unexplained crying or distress during the day. He's also producing a normal number of wet and dirty nappies per day.

So we're proceeding on the basis that as he's got a bit older and more aware, he's got to the point where actually seeing wee coming out of his penis was a bit of a surprise/shock (whereas previously he'd just taken it for granted) and because it happened in the bath (and the water would naturally make you feel like weeing) he's established a bit of a negative association. Our plan (such as it is) is not to make a big deal of it, gently encourage him into the bathroom and try to interest him in going in the bath, but not to force it and just do enough of a flannel wipedown for cleanliness until he gets over it.

Interested though to know whether others have experienced similar reactions, what your approach was, how long it took for normal service to be resumed etc?

AndHarry Sat 07-Feb-15 20:39:05

Why not try sitting him on a potty or the loo after you take off his nappy?

ohmychrist Sat 07-Feb-15 20:41:30

Surely a good sign that he doesn't want to wee in the bath?!

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 07-Feb-15 20:45:47

AndHarry - we did offer him a potty yesterday evening but he wasn't interested. I guess we could keep it out and about in the bathroom in case - can't hurt!

*ohmychrist" - I'm not quite sure what you mean? I personally feel that stigmatising weeing the bath (or anywhere else) in a child who is nowhere near ready to toilet train is not a good idea.

AndHarry Sat 07-Feb-15 21:02:20

Perhaps you could try making it a part of the bath time routine: both boys sit on the loo/potty before they hop into the bath. I do this with my 2 and it works pretty well.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 07-Feb-15 23:03:54

Yep, DD goes to the toilet before bath and the potty then was the beginning of her toilet training too. DS is a long way from being ready but no harm in having it there in case it helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: