Talk

Advanced search

Dd age 4 attention span?

(9 Posts)
MyAcheybreakyBones Wed 04-Feb-15 18:48:32

Immediate family and I have always known she has a terribly short attention span and sometimes it has me concerned and others I just think she will grow out of it.

Today I took her to a junior tia kwon do class that she bugged me to take her too and the whole session she didn't listen to the teacher well or follow basic instructsions/copy kids. Wandering off and day dreaming and general mucking about. Intermittent breaks to sit with me. Basically a pain and as I could see alot if not all the children co operated well and some younger than her too.

I worry now that she might not be ready for school when she starts in august when she is five in late may. Her immaturity was brought up at nursery just after the summer holidays last and I don't think she has much improved other than basic development for her age.

Am I worrying for nothing or is there anything I can do to fix this?, I'm going to talk to nursery tomorrow and see what they have to say.

ocelot41 Wed 04-Feb-15 18:49:42

Watching with interest - my DS is the same!

MyAcheybreakyBones Wed 04-Feb-15 18:59:44

Glad I'm not alone in this sorry. :-)
Recent Xmas nativity play she just sat and stared into space for the whole 20min show.just as well she was a sheep.
I can be talking to her and you can see her eyes glaze over and she isn't consistent when she is giving information even if made up though I can accept that may be normal.

She does have an amazing imagination though so she must spend a lot of time in her own world.

fattymcfatfat Wed 04-Feb-15 19:36:47

Tae kwon do is awesome! I did it as a child, started at 3 but unfortunately had to stop as older brother got into a lotbof trouble with it. Anyways she sounds like a normal 4yo to me. When I was little the only reason I listened is because we got chucked in all together, little me youngest to a 28 yo beginner so it was a bit intimidating si I was too scared not to listen. My ds is six and still.has no attention span! The only time he listens is at school or to a book or to something that he is not meant to be listening to
Hes stood here trying to talk to me about hot and cold then getting distracted and hes ended up rambling about the sun and now hercules, attention span whats that?!

Nanastel Wed 04-Feb-15 20:13:34

My 4 year old grandson is the same - and at that Age the 8 yr old also had a short attention span. I honestly think it's just a phase they grow out of, allowing for different personalities developing at different times.

MyAcheybreakyBones Wed 04-Feb-15 20:25:42

Glad its considered normal, its hard work and sometimes I feel she is missing out a bit when she isn't co operating in settings like that, Fattmcfatfat my dd sounds a bit like your D's they can be talking/rambling and change the story a 1000 times or gets distracted and interrupts her own conversation to change the subject.

fattymcfatfat Wed 04-Feb-15 20:46:19

Yep. And he never shuts up. I find it hard to follow conversations with him at times. His hercules turned into a slinky conversation before bed. But he does really well at school and is in top groups! So not all bad. I think its a sign of intelligence this is what I tell myselt when his ramblings get too much

MyAcheybreakyBones Wed 04-Feb-15 21:00:04

Good to hear he does well at school as that is my main concern with my dd.
She is smart enough imo and equisitive even the nursery say she is sharp just her maturity and her attention that let's her down.

fattymcfatfat Wed 04-Feb-15 21:41:31

shes still young. and if you say she can do it she can do it! my ds wouldnt do half of what he did at home when he was in nursery!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: