Talk

Advanced search

"Returning the lawn crab to the sea"

(7 Posts)
Ladyopheliastar Tue 03-Feb-15 20:34:58

Sometimes you just need to reassure yourself you're not mad. What strange misunderstandings have you gone along with for the sake of your little darling?

My dh and I were rushing ds to the car one morning, in our usual dash to work. Suddenly, my ds spotted something loosely resembling a dead crab, on the front lawn. "Look mummy! A crab!" I am confused but on the ball for pre 8.00am.
"Oh, wow, yes! You did well to spot that." I gush, pulling him toward the car. My dh goes to inspect the cause of such excitement and discovers a dead bird with its ribcage exposed to the sky.
"Did you see the crab, daddy?" Asks ds enthusiastically.
"Er, yes I did." Responded my dh, oddly miming what he'd seen to me.
I try to change the subject, but ds will not cooperate, cheerfully reminiscing about the crabs we had seen rock-pooling at the weekend.
To cut my story short, my dh and I ended up promising to return the 'crab' to the sea, to reunite him with his crustacean friends and family. Where, you will be pleased to know, he lives to this day.

BaronessBomburst Tue 03-Feb-15 20:38:24

grin

How old was DS?

Ladyopheliastar Tue 03-Feb-15 20:50:49

He was three. I just couldn't face explaining a decomposing avian before 9.00amblush

Ferguson Tue 03-Feb-15 23:31:01

That's probably how David Attenborough got started.

Ladyopheliastar Wed 04-Feb-15 18:00:50

I can only hope!

fattymcfatfat Wed 04-Feb-15 18:37:26

Haha. My brother once found a bird that had been attacked and made my mum carry it in a towel all the way to school with the promise she would take it to the rspca then they could look after it....obviously birdy was dead but my mum told him after school that thay fixed the bird and for years he was convinced that this bird canme to live in our hedge because it was so happy that he had saved it!

Ladyopheliastar Thu 05-Feb-15 17:22:01

A little bit of parent magic!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: