Talk

Advanced search

When did your DC string two 2 words together?

(11 Posts)
LindsayS79 Fri 30-Jan-15 07:31:29

Hi all
Just that really. She says things like ball, da, ma, cat, no etc but nothing together. She still babbles a lot and is very lispy.
What age did yours string two words together?

LindsayS79 Fri 30-Jan-15 07:32:19

Meant to say, mine is almost 19 months

DearGirl Fri 30-Jan-15 07:39:05

At 13 months dc could say good girl but that was about it for 2 word sentences

fattymcfatfat Fri 30-Jan-15 09:07:08

My dd is 13 months and the closest we get is mama up! Shouted at me because she is a little cling on and wont leave me alone atm!

Caronaim Fri 30-Jan-15 09:14:10

I know from working in SEN that checks are done if words aren't getting strung together independently by 2nd birthday. Not because anything is likely to be wrong, but just to start ruling out possible difficulties, and to intervene early if there is a problem. Most children who don't string words together by 2 still go on to develop completely normally. My son's best friend didn't speak until nearly 3, then went on to get the highest 11+ score in the borough.

bronya Fri 30-Jan-15 14:04:25

Within a week of his second birthday. It was like a light came on and he could just do it.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 30-Jan-15 14:20:17

DS1 was 12 months.

DS2 was around 22 months. He is now 25 months and we regularly get 'that one!' 'round and round!' 'my turn', 'more choc choc buttons' etc.

How many single words does your DD have?

LindsayS79 Fri 30-Jan-15 19:25:54

Thanks all. I would say I can pick up around a dozen. Maybe a bit more. I'm sure she'll be saying words that's I'm not recognising as well. I just don't pick up on 2 words together.
As I said she's very lispy, so I'm wondering if that's flagging up any issues...

fattymcfatfat Fri 30-Jan-15 19:55:38

I have a lisp and so do both of my dcs. My poor dd sounds like a snake if she asks for a kiss! I dont think its a major issue and shes still very young. She will start saying more and more over the coming months and then eventually you cant shut them up! My ds is constantly nattering away...we call him a little old man because he is a bit like that old man you bump into who justs wants someone to talk to! Some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious though. ...oh to be six again!

MehsMum Fri 30-Jan-15 20:15:59

I was very worried about one of mine who talked much later than the others: so worried that I'd gone to the GP, who'd said everything else seemed fine, so just wait. She finally cracked the radical notion of putting two words together at almost 2.3.

Hasn't bloody shut up since.

She was, however, slow to read and then to spell, which I gather is not unusual with late talkers. In the long run, this has not held her back academically in any significant way, except with French, which she hates.

chipstick2810 Fri 30-Jan-15 22:22:39

My dd is 22 months and has maybe been doing this for a couple of months. My ds was speech delayed and it became increasingly obvious as time went on. I would say trust your instincts but it's probably too early to worry yet. My ds's speech delay also finally just resolved itself (typically just as we finally started speech therapy).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: