Advanced search

How can I improve my DS confidence?

(5 Posts)
voluptuagoodshag Wed 28-Jan-15 08:48:23

He is ten. An adorable, funny, lovable, popular wee boy. He comes across as the joker in school which makes him popular but under that facade I know he lacks confidence. Either that or he is just downright lazy.
He always chooses the easiest path. Has started and quit more activities than I can remember. As soon as a teacher or coach has to be a bit firmer in a class, even if not directed at him, he will say he doesn't like it anymore and quit. I've never wanted to force him to do something he doesn't want to do.
His teacher says he is good in class though he asked to get moved down a maths group so he didn't have hard sums to do. The same thing has just happened at swimming. He was in the top group and asked to go down to the next one because he thought it was too hard.
Swimming is the one thing he's been fine at. The coach and the teacher confirmed that they both thought he should be in the top group and that lack of confidence was the issue. So we've agreed that he should be put back there and I've explained to him that he can't just always take the easy option for an easy life, especially when he is capable of so much more.
But what is going on in that wee head of his. How can I build up his confidence?

voluptuagoodshag Wed 28-Jan-15 11:02:03

voluptuagoodshag Wed 28-Jan-15 13:39:48

Bumpety bump

Chilicosrenegade Wed 28-Jan-15 13:42:49

Where are you?

I can recommend 'chickenshed theatre group' for london. They do various interactive things. Drama can be a good way to build confidence.

Equally don't let him swop. You have to be strong too.

voluptuagoodshag Wed 28-Jan-15 21:46:37

Scotland but will look into a local club similar. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now