Talk

Advanced search

Seriously stressful Shower time......

(12 Posts)
Marmaduke3 Thu 22-Jan-15 18:49:53

My little girl is 5 and she HATES shower time.
We have a nice corner shower, no bath.

She will cry LOUDLY non-stop throughout the shower, its always been bad, but its so bad recently its actually quite stressful. She gets so bad, that she was almost sick once.

The water is the right temperature, have tried bath toys. Have tried having her little brother in with her at the same time.

I dread this time of day.....

Does anybody have any ideas or tried & tested solutions???

Xxx

Chavaloy Thu 22-Jan-15 18:55:53

Could you put a plug in the bottom of the shower and she can sit and play with some toys in a few inches of water?

Jaffakake Thu 22-Jan-15 18:56:34

I've heard of people using a baby bath in a shower when they're really little. Could you find something the right size, fill that up with the shower & have her sit in it? It might just be enough to do something different & break the cycle?

Has she told you why she gets upset? We had a time when my ds cried in the bath every night, it started with a poo accident, but he ended up telling us that he cried in the bath cos that's what he does every night!

Marmaduke3 Thu 22-Jan-15 19:01:45

Meant to say, I always make sure its warm in the bathroom first. I rinse her then turn water off, give her a good wash then rinse her again. So its not like the noise of the water is frightening her?

Thankyou Chavaloy, that's an idea to try. There is a plug, I had never thought of that before. Xx

Marmaduke3 Thu 22-Jan-15 19:05:29

Thank you Jaffakake, that's an idea, there is room to sit something inside, but as to what?? I really like this idea. X

She hasn't told me why she hates her shower, but she does have delayed speech, so that can make it harder.

Xxx

GlitterKandinsky Thu 22-Jan-15 19:14:10

My DD is 7 and still hates the shower. She doesn't like getting her face wet.

Jaffakake Thu 22-Jan-15 22:49:13

Maybe a garden trug bucket thingy? We've got one for ds bath toys & it'd work ok maybe cos you can get different sizes.

We once used a curver box as a paddling pool cos everywhere had sold out.

Fingerbobs Fri 23-Jan-15 07:11:30

Does she go swimming? Would goggles help? My DS wore goggles in the bath and that made life easier for a bit. Sorry it's so stressful, it sounds awful.

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:39:05

My DS used to hate the sensation of a shower. Now DS is 7 he will shower reluctantly as long as water doesn't go on his head/face. He described showers as "the water feels to prickly" so might just be s sensory thing.
When we were on holiday I got a large plastic tub to put water on to make it into a bath so maybe try that?

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:39:38

Oops sorry for typos

Marmaduke3 Fri 23-Jan-15 19:13:59

Thank you everyone for all your kind ideas and suggestions.

She does have a pair of pink goggles!! Lol, I hadn't thought of that! That sounds like a good idea!!

Thinking of maybe a 'bubble machine' if there is such a thing?
Something I could suction on to the wall, and bubbles blow out.
Like most little ones, she loves bubbles!!

Xxx

MoJangled Fri 23-Jan-15 23:08:18

DS (4) hates showers - always has. A total no-no. The plug to create a minibath in the shower tray idea sounds best. On non-bath nights we have 'bubbly washes' - a sink full of warm water and bubble bath, and a wash down with his flannel - could that work?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: