Talk

Advanced search

Head lag - 6 week check

(19 Posts)
Roonerspism Wed 21-Jan-15 10:38:55

HV mentioned at DD's 6 week check that she has too much head lag when pulled up from lying flat to sitting.

This is my third child and I hadn't noticed. Her head is getting stronger when she sits on my lap. She smiled at 4 weeks.

Her head is very big - above 95th centile - which makes me wonder if it might take longer to achieve control.

I wasn't that worried but HV now has me worried!

Anyone any experience?

Roonerspism Wed 21-Jan-15 13:16:15

Hopeful bump

DropYourSword Wed 21-Jan-15 13:19:22

Too much? Haven't heard of this. I actually thought there was more of an issue if there was no lag!

PJ67 Thu 22-Jan-15 00:16:42

Two of my boys were the same at their 6 week checks. I worried myself sick but by the time they were checked again two weeks later they were fine. I think being big may also be a reason, I guess a bigger head is heavier to hold up. Try to give her lots of tummy time lying on your knee with something interesting to look at to help her strengthen her neck. I'm sure she'll have no head lag in a few weeks.

Roonerspism Thu 22-Jan-15 18:22:17

Thanks - appreciated.

She hates tummy time so will try on my knee.

I presume some head lag is still normal at this stage....

PJ67 Thu 22-Jan-15 23:46:32

Yes, sorry, I'm sure there will still be some head lag but will have improved enough to 'pass' the test. It's amazing how much difference a couple of weeks can make at that age.

Roonerspism Fri 23-Jan-15 02:23:23

Thanks again...

Any other tales greatly appreciated...

babyiwantabump Fri 23-Jan-15 02:26:30

My HV worried me the same way - turns out it is normal for 6 weeks!

Roonerspism Fri 23-Jan-15 02:33:49

Really?!

Did GP say that? From looking at the red books, my other kids seemed to have been OK on this but I cant remember. I am not a massive fan of HVs....

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:34:33

My HV scared the life out of me going on about DS poor head control and muscle tone at 6-8 weeks. Turned out she thought DS older than he was as he was a big baby (9lb 2oz born). When I corrected her on his age she still said he should have more control so referred us on. Doctor said it was because he was a big lad with head circ on the 95th centile and he hated tummy time. I just gave him as much tummy time as he would tolerate and plenty of time 'sitting up' on my lap encouraging him to lift his head to look at toys etc. By 6 months he was the same as other babies his age.

Roonerspism Sat 24-Jan-15 07:51:23

Thanks always!

I'm trying to do more tummy time - she hates it....

Can I ask if your DS then took a little longer to do other stuff needing strength or did it not work that way?

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 26-Jan-15 11:27:42

Sorry for delay in replying. I should have added that we saw a physio eventually who said DS has hypermobile joints so had trouble beating weight on his legs etc when he was very small as well. He never crawled (as still hated tummy time) but was cruising furniture at 9-10 months and walked unaided at 14 months so well within expected limits. As he got older physio recommend things like the obvious lots of tummy time, roll up a towel and place it under the arms so that the baby is not flat on their face IYSWIM. Then lots of encouragement to 'sit up' on your knee or supported by cushions. Later lots of soft play to practice climbing etc in a safe environment. Now he is 7 you would never know any different, he won several races at the last sports day!
So what I'm trying to say in a clumsy rambling way is don't panic about the head lag! But do check it out with a doctor or physio if it persists (no disrespect to health visitors but doctor/ physio will be better qualified

footallsock Mon 26-Jan-15 15:18:26

Never heard of it. Both mine hated tummy time so we never did it. They screamed. Both sat early, walked by 1 and are massively sporty

HappyAsASandboy Mon 26-Jan-15 15:32:47

Can I ask what head lag is? I have a 7 week old and have never heard of it (and this is DC3!).

Also, am I supposed to be doing tummy time this early? If I lay my baby in his tummy, he'll lay his head down and go to sleep smile

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 26-Jan-15 19:28:01

With my DS he was described as having 'head lag' because when held upright his head flopped so his chin was on his chest IYSWIM and he didn't have the strength to lift it. Health visitor at the time said I needed to give him tummy time when he was only couple weeks old which I thought was daft and he hated it as just lay there like a wet fish!

Roonerspism Mon 26-Jan-15 20:15:02

With my DD (also DC3) her head control is pretty good when I hold her upright.

Head lag in her case means that when they pull her to sitting from lying in a flat position (using only her hands) her head falls back.

GP checked it again today (7 weeks) and it is still as bad sad

Roomsdoom Mon 26-Jan-15 20:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Roomsdoom Mon 26-Jan-15 20:37:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Roonerspism Mon 26-Jan-15 20:59:29

Thanks Rooms - really appreciate your response.

Yes, she is fine - I actually thought she was a strong baby. She has smiled early. I noticed today she is kicking arms and legs etc. She has a big head so perhaps it takes more strength to lift it?

You would think by third baby I would be less neurotic....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: