Talk

Advanced search

7 year ds wetting the bed

(5 Posts)
Neverenoughhoursintheday Thu 15-Jan-15 13:35:19

Dss is just 7 and still wets the bed once or twice a week. I've tried all sorts, limiting drinks etc. He used to do it every night until last year. Wwyd - when would you see a doctor?

DarylDixonsDarlin Thu 15-Jan-15 13:39:59

My 8yo still does it regularly. Id see the doctor if he wants to and its bothering him? I had a chat with my son about the options they would use if we saw the gp and got referred, he wasn't keen on them so we've left it as is for now, we use pyjama pants if we're getting a spate of it, but I can cope with once a week as I change his bed linen weekly anyway.

No harm in having a chat with gp next time you're there, even just an appt for yourself or your other children you could just ask quickly at the end (I know my doc wouldn't mind, not sure they all have time to take a few minutes over it tho)

From what I've seen online, children just wont be dry at night until they have the right level of hormone to male it happen - I cant see any way of training them out of it, ifyswim.

DarylDixonsDarlin Thu 15-Jan-15 13:43:00

And its not your fault or his, important to remember that - some parents don't and they got upset about it (I'm sure you don't, but I know how frustrating it can be) family history of bedwetting? My DHs brother wasn't dry at night until about 11/12 apparently shock my 2y4m girl is dry every night except one in the last month since she became dry in the day. So there's no logic to it! Hth smile

Neverenoughhoursintheday Thu 15-Jan-15 16:05:38

Thanks all, didn't know whether to try pyjama pants?

BotleyYellow Fri 16-Jan-15 13:08:40

My DS (now aged 8) has continued to occasionally bedwet - and certainly was doing it fairly regularly at 7. It just comes to some later than others. There is a great website (ERIC) that has some really helpful notes - these really helped DH understand the issues. I don't go with pyjama pants, but whatever works for you. I go with a special sheet under the normal sheet and just wash it all. As he has got older, I have involved him more in the issue - so he helps remake the bed etc. And as DarlyDixonsDarlin says it just is one of those things! I can personally remember wetting the bed until I was quite old - so suspect that it is hereditary as well. Some events (a school away night) have also helped with motivation. ERIC suggests a sheet with an alarm as one way of helping - not something I have tried, but it might work. There are also medications for if a really important event was coming up (say a school camping trip) and no-one wanted a fuss made.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: