Talk

Advanced search

Best way to use rewards to earn screen time?

(6 Posts)
GingerPuddin Thu 15-Jan-15 12:35:27

DS is 3.6 and I've been lax and we watch way too much tv and his behaviour is starting to deteriorate. I'd like to come up with a reward system so he can earn screen time. Wbut he does go on the naughty step when he acts up. Has any one else d

GingerPuddin Thu 15-Jan-15 12:36:31

Ack! Posted to soon.
Has any one else done this? How did you work it? Thanks!

fredfredgeorgejnr Thu 15-Jan-15 13:25:58

Why have you decided that TV is the cause of his bad behaviour?

Why do you feel TV is a good reward?

I'd reconsider both, if you think TV is bad, then why do you want to encourage it? And why do you think the bad behaviour is related to TV - is he copying the shows he watches? Or are you just deciding?

GingerPuddin Thu 15-Jan-15 13:47:28

He prefers to watch tv almost over anything else. I don't mind him watching age appropriate shows. Getting him to leave the house even if it's for something he likes to do like swimming is becoming a battle since he'd prefer to stay home and watch tv.

fredfredgeorgejnr Thu 15-Jan-15 13:57:17

So even more reason I'd say not to make the watching TV a reward, just turn it off more often!

BotleyYellow Fri 16-Jan-15 13:12:42

One of the great things about TV is that it is really easy - and that other things with a 3.6 year old take time and effort (from parents and children). I sympathize. Choose the shows that you think are appropriate/like, explain that only those will be watched (perhaps even decide together which are the best/the ones you most enjoy; but it is you who is in charge), and have something ready to do in the new 'spare' time! Be ready to go for a walk, go to the swings, the library, play a simple game, get some lego out, have a friend over, whatever you prefer! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: