Talk

Advanced search

Rhythmic movement disorder

(3 Posts)
wakarimasen Thu 15-Jan-15 08:18:36

Hello,
I'm looking for some help. Every night my 3 year old son wakes us up multiple times as he makes a loud humming noise, puts his hands over his ears and rocks from side to side. He's done this since he was born and used to do it to get himself off to sleep but more recently he's doing it in the middle of the night, presumably during sleep transitions. Having looked online, I think it sounds like rhythmic movement disorder. The lack of sleep is really getting to the rest of the family (and my son also seems tired during the day) and we don't know what to do. Spoke to psychology services over the telephone and they just said that it was a good thing that he self soothed! Does anyone have any experience of this themselves?

LIZS Thu 15-Jan-15 08:30:17

Have you noticed any other sensory issues - textures, resistance to certain fabrics/labels, reaction to noise, strong like/dislike of certain foods and fussiness in eating and keeping clean for example? Mae a list , perhaps keep a diary over a week or so to log his daytime activity and this behaviour then visit your gp.

wakarimasen Thu 15-Jan-15 09:37:27

He does have some of those issues mentioned. I've just started keeping a sleep diary so I'll take note of these things too. I'm so worried. Thank you
for your reply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: