Advanced search

Sugar intake for a toddler

(5 Posts)
Taler Tue 13-Jan-15 10:13:09

Have tried to find out what the recommended daily intake if sugar is for toddlers. Anyone know?

My DD is 14 months and gone off her porridge and Weetabix (understandable as been having it since 6 months). Some other cereals have some sugar in but am reluctant to buy any until I know the daily recommended amount.

WowOoo Tue 13-Jan-15 10:26:30

I don't know the recommended amount but do not go down the sweet cereal route or it'll be hard to get back.

Even cereal like Special K has loads of sugar in it.

Mine have a little bit of honey or jam in their porridge sometimes. But my eldest has been having it for almost 9 years!
Could you offer something else - toast, scrambled egg etc?

EmbarrassedPossessed Tue 13-Jan-15 14:01:06

I agree, there's no need for overly sweetened cereals. Have you tried shredded wheat, or the plain puffed rice that you can get e.g. by Kallo, or Rude Health (seems to always be in the "free from" aisle in supermarkets)? Neither of them have added sugar or salt.

Also, I add a variety of fruit to things like Weetabix/porridge to counteract the repetition. You could also do pancakes or child friendly muffins if you have time to do a little bit of cooking.

daluze Tue 13-Jan-15 14:08:55

We add jam to the porridge. No idea how much sugar on it, as it is usually homemade by grandma. Grandma's jams cannot be bad, can they? Anyway, he gets very little sugar any other ways, so I don't think it is excessive. Also, scrambled eggs is a big hit (and pancakes, if only I had time to make them!).

MigGril Tue 13-Jan-15 14:31:40

I have a child who like's to vary breakfast a lot it's a pain. We have porridge, pancakes (at weekends), raisins wheat, rice krispies (the ones without the sugar on them I know they do contain some sugar but aren't as sweet), toast, hot cross buns, crumpets, scrambled egg and cooked breakfast again at weekends when we have more time, jam I buy St Dalfour it's 100% fruit with no added sugar. That's about it, I find it a struggle as I'm the type who would quit happily eat the same thing everyday. But she seems to get easily board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now