Advanced search

I think my son has CSD (Compliant Submissive Disorder)

(8 Posts)
torchie3 Mon 12-Jan-15 18:37:22

Hi to everyone.
I'm worried about my seven y/o son. He's bright, well behaved, makes friends easily and is getting on well at school. On the surface he almost seems like the "perfect" child. However he is a bit shy and he seems too keen to please other people or at least not to upset them.
Some time ago I'm sure I read about a disorder called Compliant Submissive Disorder (I think I got that right!). I think it can lead to long term problems - such as being bullied at school or not getting promoted at work and problems with relationships. I can't find much about CSD on the 'net. Has anyone else heard of it? I'd appreciate any help.

lougle Mon 12-Jan-15 18:52:48

I'm not sure about a disorder, but lots of children who are shy, anxious or with low self esteem will do their best not to 'rock the boat'.

It's all part of the fight/flight survival mechanism. Lots of opposite behaviours have the same root.

Ferguson Mon 12-Jan-15 19:02:22

I hadn't heard of it, but found the following bits which may, or may not, be relevant.

About fifty years ago I did an evening class in Psychology for a while, but gave it up because everything the tutor said can be 'wrong' in the mind, I felt it applied to me! Did pottery and silver jewelry making instead - much safer!

So don't worry, I'm sure he will be fine. I assume he's NOT being bullied to any great extent? Kids do get teased, and boys who don't play football and don't enjoy 'rough and tumble' may not be the norm, but they will probably get better school results, and a job when the time comes.

If you have specific doubts, ask his teacher or TA.

odyssey2001 Mon 12-Jan-15 22:29:49

Probably best not to diagnose based on something you once read. It sounds like a left field theory created from one study but a Google search of the ENTIRE Internet throws up ONLY this thread. Talk to your GP if you are worried.

midsummabreak Mon 12-Jan-15 23:13:56

Your son sounds like a typical first child who loves to please his parents and others and do the "right thing",

It is true that we all need to not be too frightened to rock the boat sometimes, and that 'people pleasers' do get walked over by "me people" at work and in relationships. So long as your son has a strong self esteem he may work this out for himself as he develops his personality and ways to cope with more egocentric children. Does he have like minded caring, sensitive freinds so that he is happy at school?

zzzzz Fri 16-Jan-15 14:28:50

Are you inventing a disorder?

Perhaps in reaction to reading a description of ODD?

Heels99 Fri 16-Jan-15 14:33:45

He sounds fine, I do wish people wouldn't medicalise their children by saying they have 'disorders'. Is he actually being bullied at school? If you have a happy well behaved lovely child enjoy them!

Methe Fri 16-Jan-15 14:36:34

He just sounds thoughtful.

Why is there a syndrome or disorder for everything? Aren't people just allowed to have 'quirky' personalities without it being medicalised?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now