Talk

Advanced search

Arm hair pulling

(8 Posts)
SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 07:36:47

DD is 2.8 and has, for well over a year now, pulled the hair on my arms for comfort. She does it almost subconsciously whenever she's sitting on me, having a cuddle - whenever she can really, though she's worse when tired. I don't know how to stop her - it's very painful (I'm not particularly hairy!) and she can get aggressive and angry when I try. She'll force her hand up my sleeve if I wear long ones or hold my sleeve closed . I try and get her to stroke rather than pull but I'm literally saying it every few seconds. It usually ends up with me getting up/removing her off my lap but I don't want to stop the cuddles, just the hair pulling! If anyone has any advice is be so grateful - it's getting ridiculous now and as above, as she's getting bigger (and firmly in grip of terrible twos anyway) it always seems to end in tears these days.

MrsTawdry Sun 11-Jan-15 18:50:45

How is her language? Can she grasp it if you tell her it hurts you?

SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 19:55:18

Hi, and thanks for the reply...Her language is pretty good and sadly, I think she does understand when I tell her that. She's generally really loving and caring, which makes this all the more frustrating!

MrsTawdry Sun 11-Jan-15 21:31:10

What about putting vaseline on your arms. Might sound a bit much but if you keep a pot handy and if you know when you're likely to cuddle, then you could slap it on in advance. She'll be grossed out AND she won't be able to grip the hairs!

SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 23:02:27

Mrs T I'm willing to try anything! I'll let you know how we get on smile

SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 23:03:04

Thanks by the way!

MrsTawdry Sun 11-Jan-15 23:23:46

Oh good! Anything's worth a go eh! I'll check back. grin

DeWee Mon 12-Jan-15 13:14:59

I suspect it's totally comfort, so almost involuntary if you see what I mean. She may know it hurts, but the urge to do it is too strong.

Could you get her to comfort in another way? HAs she a toy she could hold and stroke, or maybe she could put cream on your arms. Perhaps something she can fiddle with-those blankets with ribbon all round are good for fiddling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now