Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if it means she feels insecure.....

(6 Posts)
looki Fri 09-Jan-15 14:07:18

...I have a two and a half year old and today at her music group, she insisted on sitting on the teacher's lap for the entire class. Every time the teacher moved, DD jumped up and stood as close to her as possible. We've been going for about three months and the teacher didn't mind (for the most part anyway) but DD flatly refused to sit beside me.

I'm really bothered about this for some reason. It looked like she wasn't getting the attention she needed or wanted from me and was seeking it from someone else. I was embarrassed when somebody said afterwards that they thought DD was the teacher's own child!

Does this mean anything? I tried asking her about it and she said that she didn't want to sit on my knee and another little boy also sat on the teacher's lap so she wanted to too. (The boy she was referring to sat on the teacher's lap for about ten minutes at least three weeks before Christmas!).

She is quite 'taken' with the teacher.

MrsTawdry Fri 09-Jan-15 14:48:18

I'd say it was quite the opposite of feeling insecure! grin It means (in my opinion) that she wants to be front and centre and to be aligned with the most important person there!

I would however discourage it in future. It's not really on to allow it as the teacher needs to be free for all the children.

looki Fri 09-Jan-15 14:58:52

Do you think she thinks at that level though? She is only two and a half? She seems a bit infatuated with the teacher, answers all the questions etc. Actually I've noticed that she is like this at other groups too. If somebody shows interest in her,she tries very hard to 'impress' them every time she sees them. I find it a tad embarrassing tbh.

I will sit somewhere else next week. Everybody sits in a circle and today we were sitting beside the teacher. Next week I will sit well away from her!

SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 08:15:40

I wouldn't worry too much. In the music group I take dd (2.8 so same age group as yours) to a lot of the kids like to do this. Some more than others but they seem to see it as a treat or something...

SoreArms Sun 11-Jan-15 08:17:50

Not sure if that was very helpful, sorry! But hopefully reassuring smile

looki Mon 12-Jan-15 00:47:18

A treat? Ok....that certainly seems to be the case as she was so sort of 'happy' sitting on her knee.

I've tried googling why she tries to impress so much. We give her tons of praise so she isn't (I hope) seeking it elsewhere. I know she reacts positively to praise.

I don't know why I'm bothered about it. I have tried so hard to build her confidence and now my work seems to be paying off, I'm suddenly thinking hey whats going on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now