Talk

Advanced search

How old we're your DC when they learnt to identify things? E.g eyes, ears

(21 Posts)
Bridezilla3521 Thu 08-Jan-15 16:08:36

Only asking as we were at a playgroup the other day and some of them were able to identify parts of their body when asked. They are aged around 18mths to 2 yrs.

My dd is 17mths old and has no idea , just worrying that I'm not doing enough!

chocnomorechoc Thu 08-Jan-15 16:46:36

As in being able to point to body parts? My NT DC did it at 16-17 months. My other DC (learning difficulties and autism) was older, think about 2.

confusedandemployed Thu 08-Jan-15 18:11:07

DD about 16 months. However a friend's perfectly healthy and apparently not ASD DD has no idea at aged 2. I have no doubt she will catch up.

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Thu 08-Jan-15 20:17:38

Mine was 16 months (he's 17 months now so he's still learning). We do lots of body-part songs and I ask him to point them out on his toys. But I don't think not knowing them at his age would be a problem at all, it's still very young.

afreshstartplease Thu 08-Jan-15 20:19:40

Point to them? About 14 months

Name them from 16 months

leeloo1 Thu 08-Jan-15 20:23:11

My dd is pointing to them when asked and she's 15 months - she has a go at saying the names too, but they're pretty indistinct. We do a lot of asking "where are your eyes/ears/tummy/nose/hair" etc at nappy change time though - mainly to keep her hands away from her nappy!

Basically kids learn what you teach them - if you're worried then focus on it for a bit and she'll pick it up. smile

dodi1978 Thu 08-Jan-15 20:25:56

My DS was able to pinpoint his nose at about 14 months. At Christmas, he acquired "Bauch" (belly) quite within a day (I am German) and very proudly pulls up his shirt when asked "Wo ist Dein Bauch?". In the last couple of days, he has started identifying his mouth and his ears quite reliably... eyes don't seem to sink in though. He is 17 month.

Just keep repeating them again and again and again!

museumum Thu 08-Jan-15 20:27:54

My ds is 16mo and could learn them as he can do "where's your milk?" And "get your coat" and identify animals in pictures.
But tbh I haven't bothered teaching him them.

HippyPottyMouth Thu 08-Jan-15 20:31:51

DD is 15 months. She can show me her eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, hands and feet. The only ones she can name are nose and hair.

Goldmandra Thu 08-Jan-15 20:46:46

As long as you are talking to your child lots, it doesn't particularly matter what the content is, be it body parts, car parts, animals, buildings.....

All that matters is that she is hearing you talking to her, learning how to communicate and exploring what interests her, she will be fine.

Racheyg Fri 09-Jan-15 16:35:25

I'm slightly freaking reading this. My 18 month old can't talk and when I ask him where his nose is ect he holds his hands up to say "I don't know" he does this with a lot of things.

But when he turns the radio off at the plug I tel him to turn it back on and he does. He also knows to put rubbish in the bin. Should I take him to be assessed?

Goldmandra Fri 09-Jan-15 17:24:46

Should I take him to be assessed?

He is clearly hearing and understanding you perfectly well so I really don't think you have any reason to worry. Holding his hands up to communicate "I don't know" is just as good as knowing and showing you.

Babies do what they feel like doing. Some enjoy performing, some don't.

You should probably ask your HV for reassurance but I really wouldn't worry about this.

Racheyg Fri 09-Jan-15 20:12:14

Gold- my post was prob a slight over reaction. I just find that there is do much pressure for bambinos to "perform" that I worry he doesnt meet all the development stages.

I'm not worried about autism or anything I meant more speech therapy. smile

Goldmandra Fri 09-Jan-15 23:25:00

I just find that there is do much pressure for bambinos to "perform"

I couldn't agree more. It can be very easy to compare children to development timetables and find them wanting when they are actually developing in the way that is exactly right for them. My DDs did it with height. They were ridiculously tiny until they were around 8 and then they caught up and are both reasonably normal in height. They were following their own genetic programming.

I think the parents usually have quite good instincts and lots of children don't speak at this age.

Yes, it can be an indicator that someone should be keeping an eye on development. A SALT referral can be reassuring and early intervention makes a big difference with speech and language issues but, as long as there are no other concerns, I wouldn't worry.

Racheyg Sat 10-Jan-15 20:50:47

Gold thanks for replying - I'm not worried about anything else you can tell he is learning and understands what we are talking about ie I gave him his pjs and told him to give them to dad to get him dressed and he did. I think he will get there just in his own time x

Goldmandra Sat 10-Jan-15 21:10:07

I think he will get there just in his own time

Oh yes and when he does you'll have times when you yearn for quiet smile

lightgreenglass Sun 11-Jan-15 08:21:08

My DS has just turned 16 months and can identify his ears, willy and belly, mine and DH nose, eyes, teeth. I think with these things you have to teach them - if you never tell them they won't know. So if you haven't made a big deal about it and they don't know then they just haven't been taught.

Purpleflamingos Sun 11-Jan-15 08:27:05

Dd knew everything, down to eyelashes, eyebrows, cheekbones, forehead, shin, calves, ankles etc at 14 months, her elder brother was still learning the difference between chest and tummy. But ds recognised written numbers up to 14 at 20 months and dd didn't. They all have their own pace.

melonribena Sun 11-Jan-15 08:40:40

Threads like this also make you doubt your own children,which is sad. I'm amazed no one has claimed their dc knew all of their parts of the body from birth yet...

Racheyg Sun 11-Jan-15 10:44:19

Light- I do teach him these things, he points to my body parts and I always say what they are and point to his a repeat. I Do not automatically think my child will know what they are and of course you have to teach them. confused

Melon - too funny grin

Sorry bride I kinda jacked ur thread. Xx

lightgreenglass Sun 11-Jan-15 13:34:34

It was a general comment in response to the OP - obviously you have taken it personally - I did not assume anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now