Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A daft question but...

(24 Posts)
Taler Wed 07-Jan-15 19:56:55

...am looking for ideas on what I can give my 14 month old DD as a snack when she comes home from nursery!?!

She has recently ditched her bedtime bottle which is why I'm needing to give her something else. On the days she goes to nursery she has her dinner at 4pm. My DH doesn't pick her up until 5:45pm and she goes to bed around 6:30/6:45pm, so 2 and half hours after her dinner.

When she had her bedtime bottle we felt 'secure' in the fact she had a full tummy to help her go through the night.

I don't really feel it's right to give her the sort of snacks she has throughout the day, ie rice cakes, baby muffins, banana etc as that seems not right just before bed?!?

I can't ask the nursery to delay her dinner as she eats with the other babies.

Any suggestions for other snacks I can give her?

ViolettaBridgettettette Wed 07-Jan-15 19:59:24

Veg sticks, oat cakes, cheese,

Iggly Wed 07-Jan-15 20:00:52

A beaker of milk? Or does she not like it?

SummerSazz Wed 07-Jan-15 20:02:11

Weetabix, banana & yoghurt, scrambled egg, pitta bread & cheese

MoreSnowPlease Wed 07-Jan-15 20:03:04

Porridge? With banana would be good as it had something that aids sleep in it

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Wed 07-Jan-15 20:03:17

Bowl of porridge or bowl of plain yoghurt with fruit.

TiedUpWithString Wed 07-Jan-15 20:12:32

When my DD was that old she had a second dinner with me when we got home. She could have as much or as little as she wanted to feel full. Easier than a snack, then another etc. As she got older she didn't really need much.

Taler Wed 07-Jan-15 20:14:11

Thank you.
Re giving her milk, she has only one bottle of milk in the morning and it's at room temperature. I'm in the process of trying to give her cold milk from the fridge in a cup and am making headway but not quite there yet. She's taking sips now at least which a few days ago she was still turning her nose up at.

Porrige is a good idea but won't that confuse her as she has that for breakfast.

dementedpixie Wed 07-Jan-15 20:15:32

toast and peanut butter or other topping

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Jan-15 20:16:30

We do the same as TiedUpWithString. DH and I have our normal dinner - DS1 can have some if he wants, or not. He usually has a cup or two of milk as well and will often have a banana. Bananas and milk have tryotophans in them which aid sleep.

ViolettaBridgettettette Wed 07-Jan-15 20:18:05

Omelette

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Jan-15 20:18:09

Why would she get confused? If DH doesn't feel like much dinner he'll have a bowl of cereal in the evening. Food is food.

ViolettaBridgettettette Wed 07-Jan-15 20:18:13

Soup

Taler Wed 07-Jan-15 20:22:00

True!
Like the idea of her having some of our dinner but we eat later than her and to be honest like that fact as that's 'our' time.
Thanks for all the suggestions smile

purpleme12 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:53:12

When our baby's at nursery she has tea at nursery so really early so we give her a tea at home too because I think her tea at nursery's really early.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 21:59:23

Warm the milk a little by putting the cup in a mug of hot water for a minute?

if not - porridge or Weetabix with milk, yoghurt - something dairy is good as milk aids sleep.

TiedUpWithString Thu 08-Jan-15 14:44:32

If you ate with her (which by the way is great for weight maintenance after I discovered post-DD that eating with her at 1700 put me at my lowest healthy weight for 10 years), you could have pudding or somesuch later with your OH to have your you time.

Other nice coming home snacks are pancakes (try chickpea ones made with gram flour-lush) (which you could top with all kinds of nice things), sandwiches, scrambled eggs, flapjack or quesadilla.

TiedUpWithString Thu 08-Jan-15 14:46:41

Have a look at the second paragraph of this link about milk as a sleep aid:

www.nutritionstripped.com/turmeric-milk/

Incidentally the recipe is lovely also!

Taler Thu 08-Jan-15 14:53:24

Tiedupwithstring - love the idea of eating earlier aiding weight loss. But sadly on the days I get home from work it's nearly 7pm!!!!

Jackiebrambles Thu 08-Jan-15 15:05:34

I just give my DS (he's nearly 2) an extra dinner when we get home. He either eats lots or not too much! He eats tea at nursery at around 4pm.

I tend to give him leftovers from what we had for dinner the night before (we eat late too, post 8pm when he's in bed because DH doesn't get in til 7 then its bath/bed for him).

So he has something like lasagne or tonight he's got shepherds pie. If DH and I had something unsuitable then I'll do him gnocci/pasta and sauce, fishfingers/waffles, scrambled egg on toast or something like that.

He then has a beaker of milk before he goes up for his bath.

Taler Thu 08-Jan-15 15:11:14

Last night, with your help, I have DH a list of things for him to make DD when he bring her back from nursery.

Previously he would simply look after her for about an hour, do her milk (or if I'm home in time I will), then bed. So the list of foods he could give her needed to be quick and simple as he understandably doesn't wanna cook much when he gets in, to then have to do us something later on. Although of course we will now try to bear in mind that she can have left-overs (if possible) of our dinner.

Queazy Thu 08-Jan-15 20:44:22

I often give my dd an oat bar (apricot or banana one, so not a sugar loaded brand) and some grapes. She eats at 5pm tho, and won't eat from a spoon at the moment, otherwise I think the suggestions of porridge is a brilliant one! Xx

Taler Fri 09-Jan-15 12:09:28

Ok so last night DH offered her milk in a bottle (8oz) and she took the lot! She was still a bit unsettled last night but not as much. This makes me think it surely must've been teething issues that made her refuse her bedtime bottle but as I originally said, if it is teething then why can she have her morning one ok and also suck a dummy???

If she is back on the bottle now should we let her have it or try to persist with a cup?

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 09-Jan-15 12:11:27

Persist with a cup. Ideally, bottles should be discontinued at 12 months as they're not great for teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now