Talk

Advanced search

Help!!

(6 Posts)
MelissaMillie14 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:51:52

First time mum! Son is nearly 10 months and up until now he's been sleeping through the nights. He will now wake multiple times during the night and cry until he gets picked up. We've really tried not to pick him up but he just ends up screaming! Not sure what we can do!!

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 16:31:28

10 months is prime time for separation anxiety, or possibly teething. Is he clingier during the day? Any recent changes to his life eg you returning to work? TBH I'd roll with it for a while, give him cuddles and reassurance (and ibuprofen if you think it is teething) and hopefully it is just a phase - if he knows how to sleep through then most likely he will return to that once the phase passes.

MelissaMillie14 Wed 07-Jan-15 16:38:33

He has been teething but things seem to have died down (for now!) I've read about separation anxiety and most mums are saying the worst thing you can do is pick them up and bring them to bed with you. I'm unsure how to get him back to sleep without doing so. He just screams if left in his cot. Both me and my partner work so it's getting tiring for both of us now. He stays at my partners mothers once a week and always sleeps well there which frustrates me. I'm expecting again so getting panicky!

Iggly Wed 07-Jan-15 16:39:24

Pick him up, give him.a cuddle, job done. If it works, then do it.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 18:04:51

If he sleeps well elsewhere then that does suggest separation anxiety to me rather than something physical. I think cuddling him till sleepy - in a chair not your bed - is quite a good compromise if he'll accept that, then put him back in cot once very sleepy and relaxed. DD went through a phase of needing this, it didn't seem to form a habit longer term. it's hard work but IME leaving them to scream doesn't work for this kind of issue.

ruth4321 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:20:23

At 10 months my DS was still having a bottle sometimes 2 a night he was teething and screamed with wind still so I would comfort him any way that you can he's still only tiny. Mine is now 17 months and sleeps 7:30pm-8am so it doesn't last forever smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now