Talk

Advanced search

Night nanny for first few weeks

(17 Posts)
NiceCupOfHerbalTea Wed 07-Jan-15 15:04:23

Sorry if this isn't in the right place ... my parents are offering to pay for 3 weeks for us to have a nanny after our 1st child is born, to help show us how to get our baby into a routine, and to settle them after a night feed so DW can get straight back to sleep. We have space in the house. Apparently it helped my sister massively. Parents are too far away to help & whilst we could read some books about babies etc, it's not really a substitute for having someone that knows what they're doing in the house to show us what to do. Has anyone done this / what are thoughts?

Gen35 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:15:14

Where I live you can buy support packages for help over a period of time - first three weeks is nice but a quick look at the sleep board will show that you get all sorts of sleep issues as things go along, so my advice is to stagger the support, maybe a week post birth and some time you can schedule as needed. also, getting a baby on a schedule at 3 weeks is very optimistic, that's why you may want to schedule help later say at 3-4 months.

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 07-Jan-15 15:20:17

A newborn won't really have a routine as they'll be feeding on demand for a while

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Jan-15 15:26:33

I agree, later will be more helpful as they might be a) really sleepy or b) want to be up all night feeding. No way will a 3 week old have a night time routine, or not one with any longevity. Also, I'm assuming you will be on paternity leave which means more opportunity to sleep in the day. You might want night support therefore when you're back at work.

If they want to be really helpful in the first 3 weeks then sending meals might be more useful.

PotteringAlong Wed 07-Jan-15 15:27:08

By the way, what does your wife think?

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 15:45:30

As pottering said it really depends on what your wife thinks - some women are delighted to have the help whilst others want to nest with their newborn and hate the idea of someone else (esp a stranger) being involved.

Maternity nurses/nannies vary hugely, some are quite old school and will want the baby on a routine (often quite a strict one) asap - this may not be very compatible with BFing - others are much less strict, others will be guided one way or the other according to the parents' views. So if you do have one, choose carefully - ideally by word of mouth - as the last thing you or DW want in the early weeks is someone you are not compatible with.

Agree that someone starting at 4/5 weeks old ish would be a better time if you want help with routine, and also agree with the point about paternity leave.

NiceCupOfHerbalTea Wed 07-Jan-15 16:23:24

DW (and I) don't know what to think as we haven't got much of a clue.
I won't be taking much paternity as I'm a contractor sad
Meals are not an issue we are super-organised and have about 150 home cooked ready meals of about 6 varieties in the freezer that can be microwaved for a delicious & healthy bite!

Beachcomber Wed 07-Jan-15 16:57:14

At that stage I would have preferred having someone do things like cleaning and laundry during the day, if I was going to have any help.

Your wife may finds that she wants to sleep with the baby. She may find that she doesn't want a stranger telling her what to do with her own baby, or even holding her baby very much. And babies don't have a routine as such when they are that young - trying to impose a routine can be harmful to breastfeeding if that is your wife's chosen feeding method.

I'm not really seeing what help a night nanny would be at that stage unless you plan on having them do night feeds so that neither of you have to wake. And that is something that might sound nice on paper but most mothers feel very protective and "possessive" about their tiny new born that has spent the last nine months in their actual body.

To be frank I think this is a slightly interfering offer and one that has the potential to make you both question your ability to look after your own baby.

NellyTheElephant Wed 07-Jan-15 19:45:55

I found it hugely helpful with all three of mine. With DD1 I was literally in pieces by by 2 weeks as had had no sleep, so I booked a night nanny to come in for one night (DD1 was just over 2 weeks old). With DD2 and DS I planed ahead and with each of them arranged in advance for first night at about 10 days in. I had one night a week for 6 weeks which each of my three. For me it wasn't so much to try and get them into a routine - more to give me a chance to get some sleep. The most important thing for me was NOT to get up and do the feeds or settle or anything - I was lucky in this as I was able to express easily so the night nanny gave bottles of expressed milk. Standard practice was for me to do a feed at about 9pm / 10pm ish and then put in ear plugs and go to bed for the whole night, then get up 6am ish with the night nanny dealing with whatever happened throughout the night - feeding settling or just being up with the baby if necessary. In the morning I had to feed immediately as usually v swollen etc, and then due to a night of not feeding usually enough for me to express loads after that first feed and freeze in preparation for the next week. I would then express a bit here and there throughout the week to allow for me to be able to have a night off again when she returned the following week. That one night off a week in the early days simply saved my sanity and allowed me to cope - but as others have said it is a personal choice.

NickyEds Wed 07-Jan-15 20:23:49

I really, really struggled when Ds was born but would not have wanted a (more or less) stranger taking care of my baby. You really can't get a new baby into a routine, or certainly not one that would last. Also, a nanny won't "know what to do" with your baby, no one will!! Babies are different and what "works" with one baby won't necessarily work with others. What if she tells you something you don't want to hear, or do something differently to how you've planned? It would just add more stress. You will be able to look after your babysmile.
Far better would be a cleaner or people to do general fetching and carrying for you. I don't know if your wife is planning to bf but the pp who could express and sleep through the night at 2 weeks is really very rare in my experience. Most new mums needs to feed during the night as it helps protect your supply. My sister had my DS overnight for the first time when he was 4 months old (and sleeping through) we had a nice break but I didn't have the great nights sleep I'd hoped as my boobs got so sore. Ask for a babysitter after 6 months instead.

EssexMummy123 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:09:06

Don't forget the midwife will come out a few times to visit in the first few days, you can also request a midwife assistant to come out straight away to show you how to bath baby, and the health visitor should turn up on day 10 - so you will have some support.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 21:50:48

Another option is a postnatal doula. These are not trained nurses or nannies but usually women who have lots of experience with babies, so can help with the baby, give DW a chance to nap, and give pointers on feeding etc, but they are also (unlike maternity nurses/night nannies) happy to help with cooking lunch/unloading dishwasher etc. they are daytime only and live out. also cheaper so you could prob have one for longer for the same money.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 21:54:20

Or you can also buy a package of postnatal care from a private midwife - this will consist of several visits, it won't help much in terms of sleep or household tasks but will help with pointers about feeding/baby care and any health worries you might have.

sillymillyb Wed 07-Jan-15 22:42:34

I think I'd take the gift of having 3 weeks support but stagger it. I would have given my left arm for a night off at about 4/5 weeks as that when sleep deprivation and reality kicked in for me. If someone had told me once a week someone else would come in and take over I would have thought the lottery had been won!

sillymillyb Wed 07-Jan-15 22:43:29

I should maybe add, I was a lone parent from birth so not sure if those in couples would have felt similarly so desperate!

Artistic Wed 07-Jan-15 23:44:59

Am going to give some conflicting advise here. As first timers I think you will benefit from a nanny right after the birth. Breast fed babies do not have much of a routine, but having someone ago can support you through the surprises & stresses of the initial days will make the journey smoother & stress free. Just knowing what to do if the baby cries at the top of its lungs, or turns red/white, or poos green or throws up - all this does happen - and it's handy not having to 'figure it out' with sleepless nights & post delivery fatigue.
Although exclusively breast fed, both my DDs did have sleep time routines...they did sleep 5 hours stretches which was immensely useful. But it was not without having some support in place - to swaddle, feed, settle etc.
I think you would benefit in the first week after which you can decide if you want to stagger the rest of the help..or just continue for another few weeks.
TBH the first 6 weeks are really hard, I would accept all the help I can get!!

Millionprammiles Thu 08-Jan-15 08:27:42

Definitely accept the offer of some support but as others have said, stagger it if poss. You might find, for example, night feeds are quick and well spaced but daytime naps/feeding is a nightmare.

Some mums find breastfeeding easy, lots don't. Having day time support for the first week can really help with establishing a latch, general tips/reassurance on care etc. I was home 8 days before anyone from the NHS came to check on me or my baby. I would have been tearing my hair out if I hadn't had a maternity nurse.

If the dad has paternity leave then you might really need support after that ends too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now