Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's toddler bloody dangerous in water?

(25 Posts)
sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:57:30

Honestly my 26 month year old is a total nightmare with water and he scares me!

It started with him being ridiculous at our local beach pool (shallow pool designed for children, two areas). There would be two of us trying to ensure his safety and yet he would spend the whole time throwing himself in from the side, running when he should be walking, throwing himself from the top of the toddler slide into water (this was the last time we went). So our weekly swimming habit ceased as my heart couldn't take the strain.

He has in the last week decided to treat the bath as a playground too and whereas he used to sit and splash and play with his toys. He now lays on his back, submerged with just his face showing. He will then spin into his front, sit up and then plunge back down again do he is laying flat on his back with just his nose and mouth sticking out.

I have made the bath as shallow as I can and so he now lays on the bottom of the bath with just his face sticking out.

He used to have a bath seat but I'm not sure he would fit in it now and I'm not sure I should even try as it's a step backwards?

If anyone has the same issues may I ask how you handle it? He did have lessons as a baby and then we took him swimming weekly after we moved. The only reason he isn't having lessons now is because the beach pool place took them on at 2 but without the parents, so 6 toddlers to 1 teacher. He could and would clamber out of the pool the lesson took place in and I knew the whole thing would become extremely dangerous as he wood not stay in the pool.

differentnameforthis Wed 07-Jan-15 10:03:31

Constant supervision.

Seriously, this is why you need eyes on the every second around water. He is just 2, he doesn't understand that water is dangerous. He is being a toddler!

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:10:35

Don't worry I don't leave the bathroom! But I can't actually stop him from doing what he is doing unless. He thinks it's brilliant fun, and I say no and sit him up but he plunges straight back down again. What used to be a lovely 15 min bath with a story is now about 4 mins as he scares me!

Fcukfifa Wed 07-Jan-15 10:12:41

What about filling the bath really high? There's no way he will be able to lay down in it then, I think the extra water makes them seem more bouyant if anything.

LittleBearPad Wed 07-Jan-15 10:14:05

My DD 'swims' in her bath. I let her get on with it as I'm watching her the whole time.

We haven't been swimming for a while but the shouts to stop running ring a bell!

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:18:33

The bath water was pretty deep initially and he was just letting his face go underwater and floating to the bottom then spinning round and sitting up and laughing. I couldn't watch him do that so now the bath is shallow.

LittleBearPad Wed 07-Jan-15 10:35:27

I pulled the plug for a bit last night too. Too much of her face was under water for my liking

wintersdawn Wed 07-Jan-15 10:39:16

Shower instead until he is a little older and can understand?

Though I remember as a kid lying on the bottom of the bath totally submerged thinking it was great fun, properly gave my mum a heart attack!

PurpleStripedSock Wed 07-Jan-15 10:41:16

I'm not sure I see what the problem is exactly? I think it's great that your toddler feels so confident around water and while under your constant supervision is not about to drown!

I'd be more worried about a small child with little water awareness falling in.

The running by the pool thing is the only thing that would bother me from what you've described and that would be because he could slip over and crack his head, not that he might fall in while you're around to fish him out.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 07-Jan-15 10:41:17

Mine has no fear around water. We go to lessons ever week with a company called Turtle Tots and they teach swimming, water safety and how to handle your child in the water. I'd thoroughly recommend finding a reputable class, if only for your own confidence and peace of mind! No way would I enrol a 2 year old in swimming lessons with no parents and one instructor. shock

FWIW, mine is always ducking under in the bath and I just let him get on with it. I'm right there with him, if he was staying under too long I'd hoik him out. He goes through phases of wanting to experiment with water and eventually loses interest again. The more I try and stop him the more he does it.

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:46:22

Never heard of a Turtle Tots so will look that up, thank you.

I can kind of understand the post saying 'what's the problem?' But i feel as though it's irresponsible of me to allow him to play with water in a dangerous way if that makes sense. I feel compelled to try and get the message across that splashing is great but floating underwater with your eyes open is fucking scary life threatening and water should be treated with respect. Also he is plunging backwards in the bath and I'm worried he could hit his head.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 07-Jan-15 11:18:58

OP where are you based? I think Turtle Tots is only in the south west but there are others (Aqua Babies comes to mind). You are right that the plunging could be dangerous, but being underwater isn't a problem. A good baby and parent swimming class will teach you how to handle this sort of thing.

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:34:01

I am in the Cambs/beds border so both counties work for me.

lljkk Wed 07-Jan-15 11:37:04

2yos can swim... sometimes. Look on Youtube at kids from 18 months swimming around underwater. Neat stuff.

He's not playing with water in a dangerous way; he's learning how to play with water safely. He's testing his limits appropriately (okay, some of it is inappropriate, like running next to pool or chucking self off top of slide rather than sliding down).

You are very lucky to have a child who is water confident rather than a nervous wreck. Choose the things to be zero tolerance about ( like running next to pool or chucking self off top of slide). But most of it is jolly good.

lljkk Wed 07-Jan-15 11:38:28

this could be your stress instead.
DD swims like a fish now but I had huge problems with her afraid to put face in water until she was 6yo.

ReluctantCamper Wed 07-Jan-15 11:40:24

DS1 (4) has taken to floating face down in the swimming pool for what seems like ages. It's really hard to let him do it (and I do some times turn him over if it goes on too long), but as a pp said, it's great they have so much water confidence. He'll be fine if you're there watching. I'd just let him get on with it.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 12:27:09

My 26 month old DD loves "diving" (aka putting face under water) too. She hasn't done it in the bath for a while, mainly does it at the swimming pool. She has swimming lessons and LOVES them - they involve lots of going underwater in a controlled way.

I don't think you can expect him to understand that water is dangerous at this age tbh! Just keep a very very close eye on him, hold his hand at all times round the edge of the pool, etc.

Tips for the swimming pool: I keep DD in the deepish water most of the time rather than the beachy area. It sounds counter intuitive but that way she can't run away as she's out of her depth. We also have a float jacket this one obviously I don't rely on this to keep her safe (she is never more than a foot away from me), but it means I don't have to hold her up all the time as this makes her buoyant. So it saves my arms and also makes it harder for her to go underwater.

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:20:26

Minipie I agree about deep water being easier than shallow with toddlers. He hates actually having to swim although he will do a frenzied doggy paddle to the edge of the pool in the hope of climbing out so he can throw himself back in lol. I think I have an adrenaline junky on my hands!!

My plan is to try and find alternative lessons in a pool he can't climb out of. Right now we are on waiting lists but once I finish with my acupuncture I will have a day free in my Mums town and I think I can get him into a class there.

SeasonsEatings Wed 07-Jan-15 13:29:54

My little one gets on better with a full bath for soem reason, really full and lots of bubbles.

She kept trying to trow herself in pool too, I can't let go for a second.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 15:12:13

Impressed that your LO can doggy paddle to the side! And that he can climb out. That's good for his life saving skills even if a bit unhelpful in terms of keeping him under control...

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:19:53

Ha ha mini I love how you are putting such a positive spin on it! grin. He is a live wire in everyday life too but I feel slightly more in control of that.

minipie Wed 07-Jan-15 15:30:08

grin my DD is not very coordinated so wouldn't be able to climb out... I occasionally worry about her motor skills but am beginning to see it has some safety benefits!

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 16:10:25

Well DS does not speak. He says 'yeah' 'mama' and 'dada' only, so I think every bit of effort so far has gone into developing his stuntman credentials and putting years on me in the process grin

olivesnutsandcheese Wed 07-Jan-15 18:37:25

My DS (2.4) is a similar kamikaze style toddler. Frankly I'm too scared to take him swimming on my own. It's the climbing out then running around then jumping in again that scares the sh*t out of me - all before I have even climbed out myself. I literally can't get within a metre of the edge. So nothing to add really except I feel your pain grin

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 20:41:55

Olives that's exactly what mine does. In, out, then hurls self in again from edge, runs to slide, hurls self off slide. Other people at the pool were both impressed and horrified at his antics and would comment.

Eventually I was too embarrassed and too scared of him really hurting himself to carry on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now