Talk

Advanced search

Toilet trainging - daughter 2yrs 10mths - just not getting it or maybe I'm not explaining it....

(14 Posts)
looki Wed 07-Jan-15 00:39:11

I'm at my wits end and feel now that maybe I'm not doing/teaching/explaining it properly rather than DD who likes wearing knickers and who despite a massive vocabulary, has NEVER managed to tell me before she wets/poos herself. She likes reading about the potty, seeing cartoons on YouTube about using the potty, wearing Peppa Pig knickers, she loves using toilet paper and washing her hands but she has yet to actually 'do' anything in the potty.

Today I actually used it myself for a pee. How has it come to this? I think maybe I traumatised her in the process as she informed me going to bed that she doesn't want to use the potty at all tomorrow.

Any tips? Anyone?

I wonder have I left it too late to train her and thereby delayed it? I keep reading about a 'window' where I will know when she is ready but I have never spotted this elusive timeframe.

Help!!

Idefix Wed 07-Jan-15 06:09:46

She's not ready. Do you let her go without a nappy for a hour or so before bathtime? What happens when she needs a wee? Does she ask for a nap pry does she have an accident"
Never heard of a window, I think maybe you need to give things more time. Your dd is still v young and it sounds like she is v interest in the transition to using a potty but is just not ready.

Sirzy Wed 07-Jan-15 06:16:38

Relax she will get there when she is ready. Wait a couple of months then try again

Kittymum03 Wed 07-Jan-15 06:26:58

Have you tried using a toilet seat that goes on the 'big' toilet? maybe she wants to be like you.or the no nappy thing.mine went without a nappy then took a huge interest in any accidents.maybe for an hour before bath or bed.since she's old enough to understand,what about a sticker,reward chart? Keep it casual,more of a 'the potty is there if you want to use it,and if you have an accident,that's ok to' my partner used to wee in the potty when training our little one smile don't worry,she will 'get it' when she's ready smile

Lagoonablue Wed 07-Jan-15 06:38:31

Stop for a while. Put her back in nappies. She will get there herself. The so called window varies so much for each child. Both of my kids were 3 when they got it. We had a few false starts too. No use pushing it if she isn't ready.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 07-Jan-15 07:07:02

Both of mine slipped the potty and went straight to a loo seat. Worth a try?

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 07-Jan-15 07:26:17

skipped...!

MrsDumbledore Wed 07-Jan-15 07:27:48

Have been there when dd was same age -felt like we must be doing something wrong as everyone else we knew was trained by that age, dd was bright with good vocab.... in the end I have come to the conclusion that she either just wasn't ready or if we did make a mistake it was that we pushed it too much! ( my dd can be very contrary when she wants lol)

What worked for us was stopping all together for a bit. We dropped into conversation a few times that she would probably use the potty and wear big girl pants when she was 3. She seemed to like this idea (I think she likes routine and to know what's coming) and mentioned it a few time,so the day after her 3rd birthday we started again and this time she was much more keen -although it was hit and miss for a few weeks, we got to stage we could send her to playgroup without pull ups in about a month.
Don't stress about it -they all get there eventually! I don't believe in the whole "window' thing personally -just another way of making mums feel they are doing it wrong!
By the way, my nephew is now 3 and no sign of readiness, so it isn't that unusual.

nocarbsplease Wed 07-Jan-15 08:09:29

Stop, try again in a few months. Its so easy when they are truly ready.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 07-Jan-15 08:18:04

My dd (2.11) has been potty training for 4 weeks. It's only this week she has started telling me she needs the potty. For the first week or so I just bribed her to sit on it at intervals until we were "catching" most wees and poos. By the end of the first week she could hold on enough for us to be abe to go out with no accidents. Now we don't really have any accidents and she'll take herself off to use the potty when she needs it. I think she needed the early accidents to learn readiness so I'm glad I persevered.

TeenAndTween Wed 07-Jan-15 08:28:03

My DD2 wasn't ready until she was 3.5
She's 10 now and honestly you can't tell that she was late to potty train.

Wait a while.

Then build up to it by putting her on the potty just before bath time or while reading a story. No expectations, but make a fuss if something happens.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 07-Jan-15 09:08:26

As bold as using the potty yourself was perhaps it is kinder to both of you to delay for a while longer. If she is big enough you may decide to skip the whole potty deal and move her onto a junior seat clipped onto the toilet.

Btw if one of her peers has got the knack you might find DD is curious to learn from them if they're over on a playdate.

looki Wed 07-Jan-15 10:02:20

Thanks everyone. I think I will hold off and just do the hour before bedtime .

I tried the idea of using the actual toilet but she is totally against the idea.

I am off work this month so perhaps the timing suited me rather than her.

Thanks everyone.

nocarbsplease Wed 07-Jan-15 10:15:34

good luck when you do try again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now