Talk

Advanced search

10 month old- how many bfs!?

(12 Posts)
williwonti Tue 06-Jan-15 15:40:43

Long story but my ten month ds2 is breast fed (refused all bottles) but wondering how many feeds other babies have?

bambinibop Tue 06-Jan-15 15:42:57

My 10 month old is breastfed too although she will take milk from a cup. She has about 4 feeds in a 24 hour period usually 1 or 2 in the night or early morning. 1 before bed and 1 during the day at some point but that one is sometimes formula from a cup.

Hope that helps

annoyedofnorwich Tue 06-Jan-15 16:02:39

Seems like all the time! Lots more than 4 though- still on and off for most of the evening and some at night. Daytime depends what we're up to.

CaramellaDeVille Tue 06-Jan-15 16:06:41

Depends on the day but anywhere between 4 and 8 feeds which equates to 1-2 hours of feeding.

Schmoop Tue 06-Jan-15 19:39:59

ds is almost 10 months. He has 4 feeds a day generally. 1 when he wakes in a morning, 1 sometime mid morning, 1 sometime midafternoon and 1 before bed. he's been sleeping through most nights but if he does wake in the night I will feed him

LissieD Tue 06-Jan-15 19:50:49

When my dd was 9 months old the hv told me she should only be having 4 bf a day. I was a bit taken aback as dd was having a lot more than that! Maybe 6-8 depending on how many times she woke in the night. After a day of being all anxious about it I chose to ignore hv completely and continue to bf my dd on demand. She thrived, took to solids and (with a little encouragement) weaned from bf completely at 2yrs. She's a happy, confident, healthy little thing.

ZenNudist Tue 06-Jan-15 19:52:36

Ds2 is now 11mo still on a feed first thing, mid morning maybe, mid afternoon , last thing at night plus one for comfort around 3am can be earlier or later. So 4-5.

Hoping to drop down to just morning and evening by 12mo. I will give snacks in the day if out. & about. God knows how I'll get from 4 to 2...

AnythingNotEverything Tue 06-Jan-15 19:54:49

At 10 months DD was having 2 feeds a day, just morning and night. I mentioned it to the HV at her check and she said not to worry, she would take what she needed.

williwonti Tue 06-Jan-15 20:49:14

Thanks all, this is all really helpful and interesting. Our story is that he has always refused bottles (and yes I have tried everything and am no pushover....clearly neither is he!) . I have always fed on demand but as he was 10lb he was a,ways quite hungry and now he has a morning, afternoon and night feed but they are never very long. He seems to be doing ok (had dropped a little on his curve but still doing fine). He just seems to be going off milk or rather only wants the amount he wants. Seems I am not feeding him that much less

Littlef00t Tue 06-Jan-15 21:00:00

My dd is just 10 mo and dropped her mid morning bf about 2 months ago, taking it down to 3, 7am, 4ish, 7pm. Now she's at the childminder, she has formula with her dinner in a sippy cup so only 2 bf 3 days a week.

She eats loads though, people always comment.

williwonti Tue 06-Jan-15 21:10:27

The Issue i have is if i put any form of milk in a beaker/cup etc, he throws it....water he loves but it is my milk or no milk

Mummyk1982 Tue 06-Jan-15 22:23:55

Reading with interest as my DD is 9 months and has been weaning really well on to solids and seems to be less interested in milk. She has around 5-6 feeds in 24hrs but two of those are overnight so only 3-4 during the day- and sometimes I have to be quite persuasive with her for them! I think I may leave her to it over the next few days to get a feel for what she really wants - everyone's comments here have been reassuring in that she isn't the only one who seems less interested (though when she wants milk she is very enthusiastic about it!). I'm back to work next week too so it'd be good to know what she really 'needs' as opposed to what I think she should have! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now