Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety at school drop off

(6 Posts)
janecarlin Tue 06-Jan-15 10:56:44

Help, I am at a loss as to how to get my 6 year old happy with school drop off, she is the only child in year 1 who cries every morning, it is so sad to see, she gets more and more emotional up to school time and then the tears come thick and fast, when I ask her she says she misses me so much and it hurts inside when she leaves me, I am very lucky that I can do drop off and pick up and work around that but it is now making this a sad part of my day. I don't know how to make this better for her and me, she's ok once she can get focused at school but horrible to wonder how she must start every day feeling sad.

rumtumtugger Tue 06-Jan-15 11:19:19

How is her class teacher helping with this?

littleone88 Wed 07-Jan-15 18:54:37

janecarlin, I am in the same boat, my daughter is 8, she wasnt happy at her other school and got so upset, the school was useless, didnt offer any support, so we decided to change school she started on monday and i understand she is new so was expecting tears, I cant fault her teacher one bit they have been so good to her, she has to be prized off me in the morning, and they get her to do certain jobs, and the school has a full time counsellor, and she has been working with her as soon as she comes in, I know she is fine once i have gone, but as soon as home time comes she comes out and the sadness once again begins she is not eating well, or sleeping, she is being refered to TAHMS, I took her too GP and explained how she was and they have refered her, hope things get better for you

Ferguson Wed 07-Jan-15 23:29:56

Having worked with Yr1 & Yr2 for twenty years, as TA and voluntary helper, it is rather unusual for a child to be that upset, on a regular basis.

How was she when she went to Nursery, and Reception? Has anything in her life, at home or at school, changed in the past couple of years that might have unsettled her?

Does she have friends, at school or outside? What sort of subjects and activities does she like/NOT like, or is good at/ or less good at?

I invariably feel that somewhere there will be some clue, some incident or person, that caused her to feel unhappy, or that upset her confidence.

You probably need to turn detective, and work out what changed, when and why. Then you might be able to help her confront this anxiety.

janecarlin Thu 08-Jan-15 11:06:55

Thanks for all your help everyone, we did loose Gran last September after I also spent 3 weeks unexpectedly in hospital, we are very open and have talked when she wants to, we have had periods since where she has happily gone into school and I think that's what we have to hang on to, this morning was a step forward , only a few tears and she did go, we have agreed tea and cake with Mummy at the tea rooms if we can do this again tomorrow. I said to a friend I'll just keep going and hopefully we will get there

LuckyLopez Thu 08-Jan-15 11:10:51

Can someone else do the drop off for a while? This is what broke the cycle with my ds who was easily 7 before he stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now