Talk

Advanced search

3.3 yr old too good at independent play?

(5 Posts)
Lurkingintheshadows Mon 05-Jan-15 10:12:42

DS has an obsession with a particular range of toys.

He is very good at independent play. Making little story lines up and giving characters voices etc.

This morning he has been playing on his own for roughly two/three hours, popping over to say hello every so often. It's very cute to watch and he has a great imagination.

I'm just a little worried that he can do this for so long? Does anyone else have a DC like this?

sunnydaylucy Mon 05-Jan-15 10:23:39

How lovely grin.
I have 3 DD although older than yours. My middle DD has always been like your DC. In my experience the only downside is if they aren't willing to include other children their games or get possessive. My DD is fine letting friends in on the game but not too keen on younger DD getting involved, I insist that she lets her play some of the time (especially as DD3 is the opposite and won't play on her own at all!).

Lurkingintheshadows Mon 05-Jan-15 12:15:21

Thank you for your reply :-)

That's reassuring if your DD is the same!

You have definitely described DS, he gets very possessive and intense with his games. He has just started pre school and I have been told he is learning how to tolerate other children grin

I don't think it helps with his personality that he is an only child, but we are expecting another, so that will soon change. Not looking forward to the change in dynamics!

I'm always worrying about his development as he is my first sad

Ferguson Mon 05-Jan-15 19:58:51

I think 'posts' where children WON'T/CAN'T play on their own are probably more numerous, and parents might envy you!

If you have a tape recorder, could you record his stories? Maybe keep for posterity, or publish them one day.

And, if he keeps it up, teachers will be delighted when he starts school.

NormHonal Mon 05-Jan-15 20:04:24

My DS is a similar age and similar when he plays with <ahem> a certain set of character toys. Peep peep

But not an only child and certainly has had no problems interacting with other children at preschool.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the preschool staff flag it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now