Talk

Advanced search

Stimulating 3 year old

(16 Posts)
Clare26 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:25:14

Hi, this my first post so I'm hoping its in the right place....

My daughter is 3 and over the last few weeks we have noticed that she seems to have gone up a notch as such and could do with some more stimulation. She goes to pre-school twice a week and they have suggested that she is quite clever for her age.

We could really do with some ideas/games/activities that we can do with her. She has been acting up a bit lately and I think she might be bored! Thaks to Christmas we have some new playmobil jigsaws/craft bits and wipe cards for letters and the like and she does enjoy playing with them by herself. I could really do with ideas of things we can do with her as well.

Thank you!

BadtzMaru Sun 04-Jan-15 18:56:59

Could you increase her days at preschool, is it half days or full days she goes just now? Mine goes 5 mornings a week and then we do gymnastics, swimming and dancing on 3 different afternoons, seems to keep her happy.

Clare26 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:39:41

Hi she is at a private nursery for 2 full days a week whilst I'm at work and is starting an afternoon at a school pre-school setting so I'm hoping that help. I can do imaginative play with her but I struggle for ideas for activities....

ruth4321 Sun 04-Jan-15 22:20:19

Arts and crafts, simple card games like pairs and snap, baking or cooking basic things, if she knows her colours why not go around the house taking photos of 'red things' or go on a nature walk and collect twigs, leaves, feathers etc and make a collage. Watch a film in a tent made with bed sheets or have a picnic with her teddies in it. So many possibilities smile

RandomHouseRules Sun 04-Jan-15 22:38:42

The 'toddler approved' facebook group has some wonderful ideas of simple things to do at home.

You might also find this interesting to play around with.

RandomHouseRules Sun 04-Jan-15 22:40:09

Toddler approved: website page here

Chefpepperjack Sun 04-Jan-15 22:40:46

Jigsaws- charity shops have loads!

WD41 Sun 04-Jan-15 22:44:49

My DD (3) and I like doing fuzzy felt. We've got a big box of the original style stuff so lots of little shapes. Great for the imagination and talking about what she's making

Ferguson Sun 04-Jan-15 23:34:00

Having worked in primary schools for over twenty-five years, starting as a 'parent helper' (dad) and then employed in an infant school as Teaching Assistant for ten years, I find it a bit sad how some people don't know what activities to do with their children. But of course we are all different, so what came easily to me is perhaps less natural for others.

What sort of things does she like at pre-school?

Books, reading, and acting out stories, with 'props' and maybe scenery, helps a child become aware of the creative potential of books. These days, with continuous Cbeebies and the like, children shouldn't just be passive observers, but can create things themselves, if adults around them provide the resources.

Our DS was learning music from two years old, and started to read music and make up tunes by five. So if you can provide access to a piano, keyboard, glockenspiel, or even 'domestic percussion' with a wooden spoon, a child can learn to keep-time to (suitable) music on radio or CD, or TV ZingZillas etc.

Duplo bricks can teach colours, counting, adding, take-away, 'sharing'.

Watch natural history or travel shows on TV together, explaining what is going on, and if appropriate, relating it to her life and environment.

[I'll come back sometime, and see how you are getting on!]

PhilomenaCunk Sun 04-Jan-15 23:43:24

Really, Ferguson? It must be difficult being such a good, natural, parent. As opposed to the rest of us who just try really hard in our inadequate little ways. (Btw I suspect you'd find my day job a tad tricky and might seek out extra help. I'd hope if you asked me I wouldn't give such a smug reply.)

OP, my two lived copying stuff that I was doing - sweeping with dustpan and brush, cooking, setting table, tidying games. Also anything craft-y. Cutting out letters. On warmer days, chalks outside on the patio, 'painting' with water. Simple games (orchard toy rage).

Ferguson Mon 05-Jan-15 19:39:49

Oh! Sorry PC; it is quite a while since I've annoyed people so much; and it certainly wasn't intended to seem smug.

[So, what IS your day job, please?]

And, yes I agree all the activities you mention are excellent, and useful - for children of any age.

Jhas Thu 08-Jan-15 22:05:31

making robot costumes out of all your recycling and a roll of foil takes a long time and yields much fun for all. smile
Hungry hippo game and a marble run have been good for all of us to get involved. Also something called instant blox (amazon) was amazing for lots of really interesting configuration. We got a magnifying dish for catching beasties in from the garden which is good too. smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 09-Jan-15 12:56:55

To be fair I used to be an EY teacher and it did come across as a bit smug to me as well.

It's hard going keeping a bright kid stimulated - DD1 in particular is very very bright for her age (she's almost three) and we do annoying amounts of jigsaws (she loves 'em - they drive me up the wall), playdough a lot (we've got the one with the rude-shaped extruder that's been in the news and she loves that set - the rude bit just gives me a juvenile laugh), stickers - she'll stick for hours (places like hobbycraft have packs of foam shapes fairly cheaply that we tend to use for this - mum buys 'em in the sales... if you teach her to use a pritt stick it's minimal mess as well!), duplo (mine is just getting into this), wooden train track (we got a lot for Christmas and it gets well used)... plus just letting them run riot in the park collecting conkers, leaves and interesting sticks (the inside of my car is a right bloody state) - we bought some toddler waterproof sets in the autumn and they've been well used here. Add in the odd bit of baking and whatever else, and I do some phonics and number work with her when she's showing the interest.

But then I refuse to be an all-singing, all-dancing, child entertainer 24-7 so there IS the expectation that she also plays by herself or with her younger sister as well. We're also slightly limited in that everything also has to be 21 month old proof activities in terms of small parts and younger sister "helping".

We do a couple of pre-school sessions a week and she's definitely benefited from those as well.

OhPuddleducks Fri 09-Jan-15 14:06:35

I go through phases of not having a clue what to do with both of mine. I'm a bit anal so have been known to go through their toys and make a list of possibilities to keep on hand. Sometimes I can't see the toys for looking, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, Dd is 3 and we've started a few new things recently... You can buy board games suitable for 3 and up - Orchard Games (or Orchard Toys or Orchard Something??) do loads. We got Tummyache and Shopping Lists for DDs birthday and she loves them. there are loads of others to choose from. I also put a pack of Uno in her stocking. The box says 7+ but she either plays on a team with an adult if there are enough people or if it's just me and her we lay our cards flat on the table and talk about which card to play and why. Good for colours, numbers, following instructions etc. (my dad started this with her, but the way, and I thought it was genius - I bet there are loads of other games you could play in a similar way).

She loves helping in the kitchen too, either genuinely, or just copying in her mini kitchen.

Clare26 Sun 11-Jan-15 07:57:56

Hi thanks everyone!
But surprised by one comment though albeit some brilliant ideas too.
I don't see it as a bad thing that I can struggle to think of ideas at all! Just because I've had a child doesn't mean that I'm suddenly aware of everything she needs and how to teach and entertain her, hence the message asking for ideas!!!! As I said, we have been told that she is quite a smart little girl and I want to ensure that we are dealing with this in the right way and stimulating her enough!
Anyway, thank you all, have a good ah everyone x

Clare26 Sun 11-Jan-15 07:59:52

A good ah? Sorry meant good day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now