Talk

Advanced search

Worried 8 year old very scared of dying

(6 Posts)
littleone88 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:34:34

Hi my daughter is constantly worried about dying I tell her she wont as shes is healthy and young, she is a very anxious all the time and its effecting her daily life and she is so unhappy, wondered if any other parents have been thru this or can give me some tips on dealing with this issue, she will be starting a new school monday as she wasnt happy at her last one, cried every morning and in the evening, she isnt eating very well and not sleeping as she thinks if she falls asleep she wont wake up, will be getting support already from her new school and have TAHMS too

stressbucket1 Sat 03-Jan-15 22:23:33

Really hoping to bump this for you. I remember having a similar problem when I was around the same age. You sound like you are doing all the right things reassuring her and seeking cahms help. The only other thing I can think of are worry dolls that you put under your pillow to take your worries away do you think anything like that would help her? Either that or get a doctor to reassure her that it won't happen?
I don't really think I am being helpful here but just trying to think back to my child logic!

Indantherene Sat 03-Jan-15 22:51:02

I can remember going through this at about 6. It is this sort of age that they realise that everyone dies.

Did anything happen to start it? Has a relative or pet died? Has she seen something on TV that has upset her?

MaudeTheMopLady Sat 03-Jan-15 23:43:06

I suffered with a similar problem as a child, and also occasionally have it now as an adult. I find that the notion of time existing before one is born to be a helpful one. The idea of time ticking along before your birth (so that you have already experienced death in a way makes it less scary). Also the thought that everyone wil die and that you wouldn't want to be the only one who lives forever helps. Sorry if this sounds trite and obvious. Fingers crossed that she finds a way to overcome her fears soon. Of course it may be that her fear is specifically about dying young, whereas mine was more about the idea of death in a general sense. Anyway, she sounds like an intelligent, sensitive girl and I am sure that with lots of love and discussion she will get through this stage.

luluskiptotheloo Sat 03-Jan-15 23:56:59

My dd went through a real worrying stage when she was 8 and 9 years old. One of her worries was that I would die.
A book called "What to do when you worry too much" by Dawn Huebner helped us. It's a workbook that dd and I went through together. She still worries now at the age of 11 and we still re visit the book occasionally but it taught us both new ways to cope with worrying.

littleone88 Sun 04-Jan-15 18:04:03

luluskiptotheloo I have that book its help in some ways but think she needs some other support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now