Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get Calpol into a 7 month old?

(25 Posts)
PuppyMummy Fri 02-Jan-15 18:20:01

just that really. Ds is teething. I have Anbesol but can't get calpol/ibuprofen in him.

We have the syringe but he just collects it in his mouth and spits it out! we have tried small squirts, big squirts, putting it at the back and sides of his mouth. Also using a spoon, giving him the spoon and us doing the spoon.

Any tips?

bassingtonffrench Fri 02-Jan-15 18:22:55

Watching hopefully

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 02-Jan-15 18:29:06

After struggling for ages and ages and seeing DD in a lot of pain and struggling with a high temperature we ended up with DH holding her down and me syringing it in while holding her nose.

I felt awful doing it but she was in a terrible state and needed it. Fortunately as she got older she became bribe-able.

Hopelass Fri 02-Jan-15 18:29:10

I have a 14mo ds and feel your pain. It's a nightmare. The only way we could get calpol in him last week when he had a temperature was to pretend to give it to the cat first blush when even that failed I put the dose in a small bottle of milk; I figured he'd at least get some that way ...... Good luck!

Hopelass Fri 02-Jan-15 18:30:16

Just feel I should add, when we tried to force syringe it he just gagged and then threw up confused

hazeyjane Fri 02-Jan-15 18:31:25

If you are using the sugar free version, try the fully sugared one it tastes a lot better.

With ds we used to wrap him in a towel, tilt him back, put a little at a time right at the back of his mouth and stroke his throat to encourage a swallow. For a long time he couldn't swallow calpol etc, and we were prescribed suppositories - so much easier!

PuppyMummy Fri 02-Jan-15 18:37:53

thanks for the ideas so far!

he is BF and will not have a bottle so thats out!

we try not to 'force' it into him but at times he really needs it!

I do have the sugar free so will buy a bottle of the normal one.

towel and head back may work especially if DH Holds him tight!

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 02-Jan-15 18:48:49

Oh and once she was a bit older and on real food I used to stir it into a small fromage frais. I just told her the cold fromage frais would help cool her down (i.e. no mention of the calpol).

Icedfinger Fri 02-Jan-15 18:52:29

When my DD was little I used to sit her on the bed, not held but propped up by pillows so she didn't feel enclosed or stressed then we would make abig song and dance of 'look at this yummy stuff, mummy is going to have it- yum yum. Would daddy like some? Yum! Etc. then would dd like some?' She would usually be giggling and think it was a game then.

The other thing that worked well was to mix it into yoghurt, cold is nice for gums too.

Londonmumat40 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:52:55

I had this problem with a slightly older son. I managed to get a prescription for a calpol suppository. Very effective!

Icedfinger Fri 02-Jan-15 18:53:14

Ps good luck! My DD used to gag and throw up if we tried to make her have it!

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 02-Jan-15 18:59:14

Honestly, force it. I used to be frightened of hurting my DCs but after a spell in hospital with my DD at 12 months and seeing the nurses administer oral drugs I'm no longer worried.

They all said 'cruel to be kind' and would put the syringe much further back in the mouth so it was wedged between her gums whilst I held her.

Once she got a bit older I would offer her the choice of me doing it like that or her swallowing it nicely.

I've also put calpol in a cup of cow's milk once they were over 1.

FurryTrousers Fri 02-Jan-15 19:03:46

We find a quick tilt back and fast squirt with the syringe works best with our 9 month old. Normally goes down before he even realises whats going on!

stirrupleathers Fri 02-Jan-15 19:04:48

I used to put it in a pot of petit filous and they would eat it quite happily ( as long as they can't see you putting the calpol/nurofen in ) smile

HoldenCaulfield80 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:16:03

We're in the process of trying to get Infant Gaviscon into DD and have perfect the 'squirt a bit into her cheek, quickly followed by dummy so she sucks on it - and therefore swallows the Gaviscon - and repeat until she's had it all' method. It's working well so far!

Gibbsbasement Fri 02-Jan-15 19:24:16

The best method I found was to squirt Calpol into the side of their mouths between gums and cheek and tilt their heads back slightly. They can't use their tongues to block it and their gag reflex makes them swallow as the liquid slides to the back of their throats.

GeraldineFangedVagine Fri 02-Jan-15 19:29:38

I cant get 7month old dd to take calpol, however she really likes the orange nurofen and I find it better for teething pain.

Wombat79 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:38:09

My son doesn't use a dummy normally but will take calpol from a medicine dummy (its been a life saver). We let him play with it on/off before, role play etc and now he's really good with it (10 months).
Do not feel too bad if getting medicine results in a few tears, you are your babies advocate and just trying to do the best for them, they will soon forget the tears and be happy and smiling again (and feeling better).

PuppyMummy Fri 02-Jan-15 19:54:20

wombat I was looking at the medicine dummies today! I didn't get one as he won't take a dummy either generally!
However he does like putting things in his mouth so it might be worth a try!

Thanks everyone for the responses. sounds like head back and a quick squirt might be the way to go!

talulahbeige Fri 02-Jan-15 20:27:00

Mine wouldn't touch calpol so I tried parapead which is cherry flavour and it was problem solved.

I was also told recently that the little rubber thing you get with syringes at the chemist is to stop them spitting it back out! I always thought it was a little stand

hazeyjane Fri 02-Jan-15 20:31:58

The little ridged clear thing? It is a stopper for the bottle, to put the syringe in so that you can get to the bottom of the bottle isn't it? How would it stop them spitting it out, apart from cramming it in their mouth!

nc060 Fri 02-Jan-15 22:17:45

I just leave the syringe in his mouth so he can chew(no teeth yet) on it and do little squirts so he can swallow them, he quotes likes it now, hated at first!

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 02-Jan-15 22:20:29

I squirt it in my DD's cheek then quickly dip her head back so she swallows it - do it three times to get the 5ml dose in. She's 7 months.

Sparklesandglitter Sat 03-Jan-15 16:28:14

Try a medicine dummy it works well when there asleep too

PuppyMummy Sat 03-Jan-15 18:41:29

thanks for the help.
we tried the medicine dummy today. Didnt really work!

then this evening we got him between sides whilst feeding so he was relaxed, got his head right back and held him securely and did a couple of quick syringes. he couldn't spit it out so he has finally had a full dose of ibuprofen! smile

Hope it helps him sleep better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now