Talk

Advanced search

Weaning help needed!

(7 Posts)
Failedspinster Fri 02-Jan-15 07:36:51

I have a big hungry four month old. I've been mainly breastfeeding but with at least one formula bottle a day. It's just not enough for him (he cries with hunger) so I'm weaning him onto solids, a bit earlier than I would have preferred admittedly. My previous kids took well to weaning but he doesn't seem to be following suit - he doesn't seem to want to take much (opens his mouth to take the spoon but then pushes out the food), and cries. I have been offering baby rice once a day, and yesterday tried a packaged purée of baby rice and peach in case he just didn't like baby rice alone.

We just seem to be getting nowhere. Has anybody got any suggestions for what else I could try? Hes showing signs of readiness and he's always really hungry.

DeadCert Fri 02-Jan-15 07:42:18

I would suggest he needs more milk than solid food, whether that's breastmilk or formula.

What's signs is he showing that make you think he's ready for solids? Four months is classic growth spurt/sleep regression time, maybe he just needs more milk?

PrimroseEverdeen Fri 02-Jan-15 07:52:13

Sounds like a growth spurt. Nearly all babies go through this at this age. Mine fed every 1-2 hours for at least a couple of weeks. It is the milk they need. Solids will not help and he is probably still too young for food. It will get better just hang in there!

mistymorningmemories Fri 02-Jan-15 07:57:55

I agree that it sounds like a growth spurt - dd2 did terrible cluster feeding at that age and barely slept. It passed and she was happy again.
It doesn't sound like ur ds is ready for solids.

reallystuckonthisone Fri 02-Jan-15 07:58:20

I'm not against early weaning if it's appropriate, but I agree with PP. It doesn't really sound like he's ready and just needs more milk. Sorry.

ecofreckle Fri 02-Jan-15 08:00:22

I came on to suggest offering more milk and riding it out a little longer as it could be a growth phase and solids pre six months can cause digestive problems as their gut isn't developed enough to cope (nhs guidance is clear on this I believe).

(And then I noticed previous poster primrose.....my dd is a primrose and my dh says 'primrose everdeen' in an officious voice when trying to rally the troops. I should read the hunger games eh?)

good luck op and hang on in there.

Failedspinster Sat 03-Jan-15 16:54:08

Thanks guys, I think you are right and it's too early for solids. I've moved him onto formula milk during the day and am continuing to breastfeed at night. Solids are back in the cupboard for now! Advice was much appreciated so thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now