Talk

Advanced search

Son keeps hitting

(6 Posts)
GwladysFrightandthePups Thu 01-Jan-15 13:48:02

My son is 15 months old. For a couple of months he's been hitting - me, other children, the dog...you name it, he hits it. He does it when he's cross (he does have a temper) but also just randomly. I've no idea why he started this; he hasn't seen any violence at home and doesn't watch telly yet so hasn't seen any on there.

I've tried saying no, tried removing him from whatever he's hitting, tried showing him how to behave ie stroking the dog, not hitting her. He's pretty bright and already understands lots of words and phrases (he'll go and get his changing mat when we tell him he needs changing, goes to the stairs when we say it's bath time, is able to ask for milk by pointing at his bottle and then the fridge for example) so I think he must know that he's doing wrong, but then does it anyway.

I really don't know what to do any more. Some days are better than others but this morning he's been really bad and I'm at the end of my tether, hence me posting this. It's getting to the point that I'm reluctant to take him to playgroup (which he loves) because I have to follow him round making sure he doesn't hit other children.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to stop him doing this? Thanks

cleoteacher Thu 01-Jan-15 13:53:20

It's probably just a phrase. My ds went through this and although it's eased off now he still does it aged 2. He has at times really embarrassed me. I also did the strategies you have a found it worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't. I found saying gentle hands and if he repeated he had to sit out worked best. However it was hit and miss and generally found this was a phrase he just needed to get through. As I said he still hits or tries to hit if I get him to do something he doesn't want to do. Perfectly normal I think.

GwladysFrightandthePups Thu 01-Jan-15 14:27:16

Thanks Cleo. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one - all the other kids I see at the groups we go to play so nicely together! Hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Millie3030 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:19:26

My DS is exactly the same, I have seen lots of hitting threads recently so your definitely not alone. I think it's their frustration of not being able to speak and when they can communicate more they hopefully do it less. But just show him a consistent approach, whichever you decide. I put his arm by his side and say "we don't hit" with a stern face, and show him again how to stroke be gentle etc. he still does it about 3 times a day to me but, he is getting better.

BarbarianMum Fri 02-Jan-15 00:07:07

Just keep on saying no and removing him from the situation/distracting as appropriate. And bare in mind that there is a huge difference in being able to understand "no" and being able to control your temper or your impulses.

snozcumber79 Fri 02-Jan-15 09:05:20

Yes my ds is 2 in Feb and we have the same problem but so far he just hits me,husband and the dog. Hoping its just a phase as very frustrating. He tends to do it more when tired or told no. Think I will try the naughty corner as other methods not working..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now