Talk

Advanced search

2 year old ignores me

(13 Posts)
makeminea6x Mon 29-Dec-14 17:35:28

My 2.10 year old DD ignores me most of the time. Even if I am offering something to eat or drink. She isn't deaf, I can whisper things and she hears. It drives me up the wall.
Is this a stage?
How can I manage this better? Currently I do counting when I'm doing well, shouting when I'm not. Today has been a bad day probably going to lose my voice at this rate

heavyhamster Mon 29-Dec-14 17:37:53

She maybe autistic

Bananaapplegrape Mon 29-Dec-14 17:44:50

Heavy you didn't really say that did you? [shock{

Mrscog Mon 29-Dec-14 17:47:23

Maybe it's the day - 2.10 yr old DS has also been a nightmare today, just ignoring every instruction. I'm 24 weeks pg and too tired, Dh has a cold and I just cannot wait to put him to bed!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Mon 29-Dec-14 17:48:17

It's a faze it happens again when they teenagers because if you whisper the word money your find they have super sonic hearing.

heavyhamster Mon 29-Dec-14 17:50:42

I had a neighbor who was autistic. She looked perfectly normal. She was a cute girl. She wandered into my yard. I talked to her. I was about a foot away from her. Neither I, nor her parents knew that she was autistic. It appeared that she was completely ignoring me. About a year later, she was diagnosed with autism.

merlehaggard Mon 29-Dec-14 17:53:32

I took my eldest the drs at about that age because I wasn't sure if she could hear me. It turns out that she was choosing to ignore me! She is now 20 and when her younger siblings ignored me, I could see from other clues that their was nothing wrong with their hearing. Does she seem to hear other noises or things that she might particularly like to hear?

makeminea6x Mon 29-Dec-14 18:16:17

Yes she comments on animal noises, responds if she hears me talking to someone else, copies her brother babbling.
She has very good language. Probably below average gross motor.
Thanks you've cheered me up!

ladyflower23 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:45:13

Have you tried kneeling down so you are at her level and making eye contact before you speak?.harder for her to ignore you that way!

makeminea6x Tue 30-Dec-14 13:08:56

Thanks I'll try that.

KittyandTeal Tue 30-Dec-14 13:18:06

My goodness my 2.3yo has taken to this, drives me up the wall.

I do counting too which works for the moment

She also tells me I make her jump if I talk to her when she's engrossed in her play which I feel a bit bad about so could it be that she's engrossed in doing something and not paying you any attention so not 'hearing'

Felyne Tue 30-Dec-14 13:25:07

My 2.5 yo DS is the same. Drives me nuts. I'd love to be one of those parents who 'doesn't shout at their children' as in every nauseating 'Parent The Same Way I Do In My Blog And Life Will Be Great' -type Facebook post but he just doesn't listen!

makeminea6x Tue 30-Dec-14 19:13:37

I actually did try making eye contact today. Also only saying things twice then counting. It worked and we had a good day. Who knows how tomorrow will be though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now