Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining 5 yo - how to get the right balance

(4 Posts)
sunshine05 Fri 26-Dec-14 17:50:09

My 5 yo pushed his 3 yr old brother's head under the water in the bath. I'm pretty sure they were mucking around but the fact is the consequences could have been VERY serious. DH told him how dangerous it is to do that and that we should never do it. But in terms of punishment, I thought taking some time off his computer priviledges tomorrow was enough, DH thinks we should punish him more and say no computer tomorrow. My thoughts are although it was a serious thing he did, I don't think he fully understood how dangerous it is. Should we punish him more severely? I know everyone has different views on punishment, I just find it hard to strike the right balance sometimes. If he'd done it maliciously of course we'd come down really hard on him. Any thoughts appreciated.

Purpleflamingos Fri 26-Dec-14 17:54:04

I would say that as you've told him how dangerous it is, leave it at that and the serious consequences come next time. Sometimes all is needed is a calm and rational explanation. Next time is for punishment (if there is a next time).

DIYandEatCake Fri 26-Dec-14 19:43:12

I agree with purpleflamingos. I would be very serious in explaining why what he did was dangerous, and make absolutely clear that it must never happen again. If it did happen again, then there should definitely be consequences.

sunshine05 Tue 30-Dec-14 08:42:50

thanks for the replies. Just needed to see what others think as DH can be overly zealous in his reprimands without thinking what is the best approach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now