Talk

Advanced search

Dicipline and timeouts

(5 Posts)
nathanyau6455 Fri 26-Dec-14 02:24:04

I am having trouble with disciplining my 5yr old son and me my wife Harriet have tried using the naughty step and naughty corner and non of it seems to work so if anyone has any idea then please feel free to let's us know

rootypigsinblankets Fri 26-Dec-14 02:45:50

Look at the website ahaparenting.com, it's a fantastic resource. I also recommend the book Playful Parenting. Dealing with a five year old may be about rules often enough, but it is not about discipline.

nathanyau6455 Fri 26-Dec-14 02:56:03

Could I ask you how do u diciepline

rootypigsinblankets Fri 26-Dec-14 03:30:35

I think of it in terms of encouraging good behaviour and enforcing rules, rather than discipline.

What do you mean, when you say discipline? can you describe the sorts of things your son is doing that you'd like him not to?

DarceyBustle Fri 26-Dec-14 12:14:24

I agree with rootypigs.

I love Playful Parenting and agree with the ethos behind it.

We have two five year olds plus a just seven year old, all with very different characters.

It seems to me that The Naughty Step is a massive waste of time and cause of aggro'.
If you are prepared to spend those five minutes focussed on his behaviour why not work constructively with him rather than creating a battle of wills which ultimately requires at least one loser.

Can you give some examples of things that he gets Stepped for and we might be able to suggest some alternative responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now