Talk

Advanced search

Question about chicken pox

(10 Posts)
hollingbury Mon 22-Dec-14 19:00:30

Hi

Son caught chicken pox last night. He is very spotty. He got his first spots on Wed, most came through that day - he's much better now. And lots of visible healing over of spots.

Some spots are v tiny and don't look like they've broken.

Question is - how do you know when they are ok to be around other kids again?

By Wed/Xmas Eve, it will the 8th day. I wanted to get his hair cut. But can I?

Thanks

hellomynameis Mon 22-Dec-14 19:03:22

crusting over.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 22-Dec-14 19:03:44

the exclusion period from school, etc is 5 days from the onset of spots. NHS says avoid others until they have crusted over.

hazeyjane Mon 22-Dec-14 19:05:25

They have to all be crusted over.

AliMonkey Mon 22-Dec-14 19:06:38

Assume you meant he caught it last week? If so and lots of crusting over now then probably ok by Christmas Eve but take a decision that day depending on if crusted over.

hollingbury Mon 22-Dec-14 19:09:31

Sorry, I meant crusting - not healing over.

Do I have to examine every single spot - some the size of pin pricks? He had about 100-150.

I don't mean to be obtuse, I can see they are all drying out but they are so varied in size and 'crusting' some just look like they're fading without breaking. Or maybe that's my wrong interpretation. He doesn't like me to look!

hollingbury Mon 22-Dec-14 19:10:07

I think he was unwell Monday of last week, seemed better Tue, then woke up Wed with spots

ilovepowerhoop Mon 22-Dec-14 19:11:33

could some have been a post viral rash rather than chicken pox spots? Do the un-crusted ones look moist/blistery or are they dry? If they are dry and the others are crusted then I would say he is ok to be out and about

hollingbury Mon 22-Dec-14 20:22:33

THanks - I'll have a look. They all seem dry to me but I am also very conscious of not getting it wrong!

Jaffakake Thu 25-Dec-14 22:50:51

Fil, a gp, says 5 days after first spots is when they stop being contagious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now