Talk

Advanced search

18 month old not walking or talking, now biting herself

(4 Posts)
LadyDowagerHatt Sun 21-Dec-14 22:18:58

So my DD isn't walking yet but the HV observed her and said she had no concerns about her ability to weight bear (she is pulling herself up and moving along the sofa) and was happy with her socially. She doesn't really have any words, just Dada, the HV did say she would expect her to have 6 at this age. She can high five and sometimes claps but doesn't have any other actions e.g. wave, touch head etc.

She has always continually put things in her mouth and often bites me, my husband and my 4 year old son. More worryingly she has just started to bite herself on her left arm (always only this arm) leaving bruises and teeth marks. This doesn't seem to correspond with being frustrated, being told no etc, it is fairly constant.

I find it difficult to help her develop. She has always loved being carried and held and often cries when put down. She also cries and goes down to the floor if we try to stand her up holding hands to help her practice her walking. I try reading books with her but she just grabs them and puts them in her mouth constantly. With her habit of launching herself on top of me and putting everything in her mouth I am finding it hard to engage and interact with her.

She hasn't really missed milestones until now - she was sitting up at 7 months (slightly late but I put it down to her being carried in a wrap a lot due to her crying when not being held) and crawling at 12 months.

Should I be worried and is there anything more I should be doing? Any advice or experience appreciated.

MaMattoo Sun 21-Dec-14 22:45:29

My son (now 4.6) never walked till 18 months. He was happy to watch the world go by. He was also right on top of the percentile for height and weight which I think now, was the reason.
Hth

poppetina Sun 21-Dec-14 22:52:10

Could she be teething? Mine go through bitey phases when they are.

LadyDowagerHatt Sun 21-Dec-14 23:16:43

I'm not sure about teething - she uses to dribble constantly but this has lessened recently, only to be replaced by the self-harming. I also thought she was starting to put things in her mouth a little less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now