Talk

Advanced search

Newborn smiling into the distance

(11 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Sun 21-Dec-14 17:08:03

Hi ds2 has started smiling but he only seems to do it when looking into the distance or at lights/window etc.
It's def different to his wind smiles/expressions but because he hasn't done it to me or DP or DS1 in response to our smiles, I'm wondering if it is a smile at all?!
Could he be smiling in response to our voices?

PetrificusTotalus Mon 22-Dec-14 11:38:42

how old?

Mmolly2013 Mon 22-Dec-14 12:25:22

My bby would smile and laugh so much but they would be staring at the ceiling doing this. They would act as if someone was talking to them but we were all silent. I like to think it is their guardian angel weird I know but reassuring

flipflopsonfifthavenue Mon 22-Dec-14 13:23:42

He's 6weeks

PetrificusTotalus Mon 22-Dec-14 13:28:41

It might be a smile, but it's still early.

He is attracted by the lights and they're entertaining him smile

ohmychrist Mon 22-Dec-14 13:30:52

Guardian angel. Ffs.

Mmolly2013 Mon 22-Dec-14 14:09:36

Anyone can believe in what they want, my mum passed away a few years ago so I like to think it's her, get over yourself

BreakingDad77 Mon 22-Dec-14 14:45:01

Our DS used to do that would freak us out, one time in night he sat up and was clapping and smiling looking away from us!

qazxc Tue 23-Dec-14 09:25:03

newborns sometimes smile when wetting their nappy because of the pleasant warm sensation. lights and shadows are also endlessly interesting at that stage.

caravela Sun 28-Dec-14 17:46:05

My dd (7 weeks) loves ceilings, windows, lights etc and stares at them for ages. She started smiling properly (ie at faces) at 6.2 weeks but she still gets confused sometimes - yesterday the ceiling got a lovely smile.

caravela Sun 28-Dec-14 17:49:56

Also for the few days before she learned to smile properly she was doing loads of practice smiles - i.e. smiling randomly out into space, or smiling with half her mouth, so could be he is gearing up for the real thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now