Talk

Advanced search

9mo not sitting alone and not crawling yet - advice please

(17 Posts)
helen2014 Sat 20-Dec-14 12:31:28

My son was slow to roll, sit etc. He still is reluctant to sit without support although he can do it for a very short period (a few seconds). He hasn't crawled at all yet. Part of the problem has been that he's had a flattened head so I've been reluctant to put him on the floor because he just flips on to his back - and I don't want to make the head worse. His hand-eye coordination is good and I don't think he's generally stupid so I suspect I just need to do things differently..... If I sit him on the floor he just lies back on the cushions that I have put behind him. He clearly thinks that is more comfy...! Any ideas for stopping him do this?

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Dec-14 15:14:33

ds(10) crawled at 9 months and walked at 1 year.

He always hated, and as a quite chunky baby looked uncomfortable, being on his tummy. His crawling started quite suddenly in the space of a couple of days of suddenly deciding to try it.

No advice really (as it was so long ago for me now!) on how to stop him leaning back other than try to put something in front of him he wants to play with.

Quitelikely Sat 20-Dec-14 15:23:33

Have you tried him in a bumbo seat? These are good for learning to sit unaided and IME my son was definitely physically later than my girls.

That's why I got a bumbo. Also he, one day just crawled out of nowhere.

Does he have a favourite toy? Give it to him when he is on his back, take it from him, roll him into his tummy then put it about a hands width away from him.

Believe me, if he wants that you he will start trying to reach it and move his body to get it!

Let us know if it works!

naty1 Sat 20-Dec-14 15:32:42

Mine loved to sit and play with a vtech spinning top (animals). So you need to find an interest theyll sit for.

BathshebaDarkstone Sat 20-Dec-14 17:32:55

I second the bumbo. fsmile

bonzo77 Sat 20-Dec-14 17:36:27

Was he born on time or early? How early?

helen2014 Sat 20-Dec-14 20:26:03

He was born just a couple of weeks early - by caesarian

bonzo77 Sat 20-Dec-14 20:37:52

A couple of weeks early is unlikely to cause a delay.

Ds2 was 5 weeks early. The paed said for babies born before 37 weeks you can add the number of weeks prem to the expected time for milestones. And normal age to sit independently is 6-9 months. Sounds like your DS is just right at the slow end of normal and just needs more practice. You can get a big inflatable link{http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-loves-baby-sit-and-play/629-0142.prdwww.tesco.com/direct/tesco-loves-baby-sit-and-play/629-0142.prd\ring} with a fabric cover. You sit them in the middle and it stops then falling and hurting them self but they can't really flop over and lie down in it. It really helped ds2, who incidentally only say independently at 10 months and crawled I think at about 14, walked at 20 I think.

There is a special pillow for flat heads.

bonzo77 Sat 20-Dec-14 20:40:01

Sorry this is the ring here

AliMonkey Sat 20-Dec-14 20:50:13

Agree with PP re bumbo. But would also say don't worry about the crawling. DD never crawled. Did a bit of bum shuffling from about 12 months, walked at 16 months. So a bit late but actually meant she got the hang of it quickly. DS crawled a bit from 14 months, didn't walk until 19 months. Both absolutely normal in terms of physical development otherwise and since.

Make the most of knowing you will find DS just where you left him while you still can!

helen2014 Sat 20-Dec-14 21:06:22

Thanks to everyone whose given me advice. It's really helpful. I feel a bit less stressed about it now!

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 20-Dec-14 21:11:13

DS1 was sitting independently pretty well at six months but didn't crawl until 10 months. I don't think you've got anything to worry about at this stage smile

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 20-Dec-14 21:17:38

I have a friend whose baby didn't sit up until nearly 11 months and walked a week later!

You are well within normal still, especially for crawling. Both my older two were 10/11 months. Try not to stress and give him chances to practice. smile

ARandomFridayIn2012 Sat 20-Dec-14 21:20:37

DS1 sat unaided at 7-8 months, bum shuffled from 9 months, crawled at 14 months and walked at 17 months, I really wouldn't worry.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 20-Dec-14 21:23:40

Dd1 didn't sit up until she was around 10-11 months. Didn't crawl until 12 months and didn't walk until she was 14 months.

She is now 3.4 and you wouldn't even know. I worried about her too, but I come to realise she does things in her own time, and not before. She is still like that now

arethereanyleftatall Sun 21-Dec-14 08:22:55

What does he go in to get his meals? I would use a high chair/bumbo.

MiaowTheCat Sun 21-Dec-14 22:13:27

Dd1 wasn't crawling at all till 11 1/2 months, and even then it was a commando job. I remember when it was as I was in hospital having dd2 when poor grandma's easy babysitting job suddenly got a lot harder as she no longer stayed where you put her! At getting toward 3 you would never know she did some of this stuff on the late side though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now