Talk

Advanced search

Aspergers/dyspraxia

(5 Posts)
Sc0utfinch Sat 20-Dec-14 08:13:15

My son is 10 and has recently had an ASD assessment as I believe he has Aspergers. The findings suggest he doesn't but does have dyspraxia. I think they are mistaken. It has taken me a year to get this far and I am concerned about him transitioning to secondary school in September with an undiagnosed problem. Has anyone been convinced their child is on the spectrum but had an assessment suggest otherwise? What advice might you have for my next move?

Tambabaubles Sat 20-Dec-14 14:03:01

who assessed him? Was it a multidisciplinary assessment or just one paediatrician? Ideally it should have been a team of developmental paed, speech and language therapist and occupational therapist, maybe educational psychologist as well.
You could always ask for a second opinion in the NHS or go to a private consultant.
The Special Needs: Children board might be the best place to ask, try reposting there.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 20-Dec-14 21:54:43

Hi scout, it took 3.5 yrs for my Dd3 to be diagnosed with Asd/Aspergers. She was seen by Speech and Language, Occupational therapy, paediatricians and finally camhs where she was assessed by a mental health nurse and a psychiatrist.

I knew from when she was tiny that she had Asd but it took a long time to get the diagnostic process started.

There is some crossover between Aspergers and dyspraxia but if you think that he has Aspergers you are probably right.

I agree that the special needs children board is a very helpful place.

Good luck smile

DraggingDownDownDown Sat 20-Dec-14 22:03:15

My son has both. He was diagnosed with dyspraxia by the OT and ASD by CAMHS.

Sc0utfinch Sun 21-Dec-14 13:06:50

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate it. Merry Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now