Talk

Advanced search

Do you let things cool entirely befor freezing?

(5 Posts)
Taler Fri 19-Dec-14 17:49:47

Had no idea where to post this!

Please let me know what you think.

Made chicken and sweetcorn chowder for DD yesterday but put in freezer whilst still a bit warm as couldn't wait for it to cool completely as had to leave the house.

Chicken, above anything else (IMO) you have to be soooooo careful with and I'm just not sure now???

momb Fri 19-Dec-14 17:52:56

the chowder will be fine, it's anything else in the freezer that you may have defrosted and refrozen that you need to be careful of....
I'd have put this in recipes/food rather than development and behaviour though!
..and yes, it is usual to cook, cover, cool and then freeze.

fredfredgeorgejnr Fri 19-Dec-14 20:27:53

But yes, it's normal to cool the food before freezing not because of the food (although rapidly freezing from hot can cause different ice crystals to form, but that's just texture) but because of raising the temperature of the freezer.

Small amount, large very cold freezer, little chance to be a problem. Large amount in a small warm freezer (e.g. the little bit on top of a fridge) quite likely to have thawed other stuff.

PolterGoose Sat 20-Dec-14 10:06:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jaffakake Thu 25-Dec-14 22:56:02

The only things that will happen from doing this is a potential change in texture (dependent on what you are freezing) & it can cause the things by it to heat up a bit.

There was a thing on QI that said hot water freezes faster than cold - something to do with the speed of molecules that I didn't understand - so it could be a benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now