Talk

Advanced search

Baby language development

(11 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 19-Dec-14 07:14:05

DS is 5 months old and quite a chatterbox, but all the books, websites, apps etc say he should be using consonants by now, but he isn't. Lots of oohs and ahhs and some "softer" consonants like m and l but no harder ones like g or b or anything yet.

I am probably worrying about nothing, his development in all other respects is on track, but he is my PFB and I do worry about everything!

Is this normal? Will he have any issues with speech later on? Any advice appreciated.

GothicRainbow Fri 19-Dec-14 07:20:54

You are absolutely worrying about nothing!! 5 months is so so early for anything speech related.

If he gets to 2 and you still have concerns then you can worry grin

ArchangelGallic Fri 19-Dec-14 07:27:57

YABU

my daughter could say mama and dada at 3 months old and was writing by 6 months....oh sorry, wrong section!

Joking aside though, you really are worrying about nothing. Put the books down and enjoy the babbling. If there's no consonants by 2 years, then talk to hv about a reference to speech therapy.

Eminybob Fri 19-Dec-14 07:30:28

Thanks. I thought as much I just needed to hear it from some people more rational than me!

Haribolover Fri 19-Dec-14 10:27:54

DD didn't say baba or anything like that until she was 9 months and that wasn't any different to others in her baby groups.

leenleen Fri 19-Dec-14 20:14:30

Really don't worry just enjoy your baby. I'm a childrens SLT and my just over 2 year old has just got his first words and consonant sounds and I'm not worried -theres so much non verbal language development that happens before the sounds and words start coming.

Stripylikeatiger Sat 20-Dec-14 13:00:08

My baby was "late" with all his baby language milestones, he really hardly babbled at all but then at one he just started speaking and now he's nearly 2 and speaks really well in 2 languages. I was convinced the lack of babbling ment he'd talk late but apparently not!

capecath Sun 21-Dec-14 08:16:33

Can't remember what either of my kids' language was like at 5 months tbh!! Too early to be worrying...

creamoftomato Sun 21-Dec-14 08:29:50

Not to worry - I was starting to wonder this exact thing myself a few months ago esp bc some other baby group friends were doing much 'better' 'chatting' than my DS (and because he's really active and was crawling at 5mo and no longer interested at all in sitting talking to me) but DS's babbling has just suddenly exploded in last two weeks, what feels like millions of new noises and speech sounds just appeared basically overnight - he's almost 9mo. Anyway def no panic, all will be well smile

PuppyMummy Mon 22-Dec-14 16:19:43

I have a 6 & a half month old. he is babbling but not got to ma/da/ba yet!

he likes shouting and squealing the most!

Ferguson Fri 26-Dec-14 20:27:58

He probably doesn't understand what 'consonants' are yet!

As long as he is making ANY sounds, and responding to sounds you make, just enjoy any interaction with him. Boys are probably slower than girls at things like that. Do physical games as well; baby signing classes allow babies to communicate before the vocal mechanisms have developed sufficiently for speech.

Play 'answering' sorts of games; count Duplo bricks, recite the colours of them to him over and over; build them up and knock them down. Keep the activities going for as long as he wants (and as long as you can tolerate).

If you have a tape recorder, record his 'talking', play it back to him, and keep it for posterity. (Ours did all this thirty years ago; he's just done a Masters degree, and now onto PhD,)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now