Talk

Advanced search

Nursery fees

(20 Posts)
Taler Wed 17-Dec-14 12:50:36

Not sure where I should've posted this -is it the 'norm' to be charged for Xmas Day at the nurseries your LOs go to?

Crownjewel Wed 17-Dec-14 12:53:05

Ours gave us the choice - either pay for bank holiday Monday's (when they're closed) or pay for the week between Christmas and New Year (when they're closed). Although they're closed, they still have staff to pay for those days I guess...

stressbucket1 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:57:58

Our nursery only close on bank holidays and you do have to pay if that's your day. I think that is pretty standard

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 17-Dec-14 12:58:54

It depends what was in the contract you signed.

Some dont charge. Some do.

Mine charged 50 weeks a year as they closed for a week at xmas and a week in july. I paid for every other weekday including bank holidays etc despite them being shut.

Kim82 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:59:35

Ours charges for bank holidays but not for the week between Christmas and new year

YoullLikeItNotaLot Wed 17-Dec-14 13:01:02

Yes, the one I used charged for 50 weeks of the year too.

Taler Wed 17-Dec-14 13:02:21

Ok so seems fairly standard. Thanks

GertrudePerkins Wed 17-Dec-14 13:02:36

we pay for public holidays.

the staff quite rightly get paid on public holidays, as do I, and so I have no issue paying for the nursery fees.

callamia Wed 17-Dec-14 13:04:35

I pay for the days that he goes, nothing more (I mean, I pay for sick days that he takes obviously). My fees owed are different each month. Our nursery closes for two weeks over Christmas - is this normal?

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 17-Dec-14 13:07:51

Goodness how can they afford to close for two weeks at xmas? That must be massively inconvenient for parents.

NotCitrus Wed 17-Dec-14 13:13:01

Depends how many children they'd get over Christmas. Our nursery is closed from Christmas Eve, reopens 5 Jan. I think there wasn't demand for them to open on the 2nd. We pay monthly, so December means you get less for your money that month, but overall it's good value.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 17-Dec-14 13:18:34

Oh yes i suppose if the demandis lower at christmas then that's air enough.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Wed 17-Dec-14 13:32:09

The thing is, nurseries are going to be paying their staff for bank holidays so you're either paying for a full day when your child doesn't go as the nursery is closed or it's factored into the costs you pay each day/week/month - one way or another, you WILL be paying for bank holidays but differenrt nurseries have different ways of covering the cost.

ZenNudist Wed 17-Dec-14 14:16:26

I think I pay 50 weeks if the year and they close for 8-9 days at Christmas.

museumum Wed 17-Dec-14 14:18:45

We pay 51 weeks and it closes for five days over Xmas and ny. Usually xmas day, boxing day, 1st and 2nd jan (we're in Scotland where 2nd is a bh) and one other day.

simonthedog Wed 17-Dec-14 14:21:00

Yes we pay for all bank holidays but they give us back what they call a banked day which you can use as an extra day at the nursery if needed which you don't pay for. Provided there is a space that day.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 17-Dec-14 14:23:38

Ours broke up for Christmas yesterday hmm, back on 5th January. It's the thing that bothers me most about an otherwise excellent nursery! Dd2 hasn't even finished school yet but dh has had to take tomorrow off for me to go to work. That said, we aren't charged for any bank holidays or any of the Christmas period, or any time we take as holiday as long as it's during university holidays. Swings and roundabouts!

LIG1979 Sat 20-Dec-14 07:34:18

Ours are shut from yesterday till the 5th but we only pay for 50 weeks spread over the year.

odyssey2001 Sat 20-Dec-14 12:36:33

Ours is closed Christmas eve afternoon, Christmas day and boxing day and yes, we are charged for Christmas day and Boxing day but not Christmas eve afternoon.

AuntieStella Sat 20-Dec-14 12:43:26

I'm beyond the nursery years, but used to use one which was open 50 weeks per year, and used to give the two shut down weeks as 'free'. They used a 4 weekly billing cycle (with other Bank Hols annualised in that rate) which became 5 weekly those two times.

I also used to use one which was open 51 weeks a year, but annualised it over 12 monthly payments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now