Talk

Advanced search

Three year old with hands constantly in her knickers!

(9 Posts)
NotAClueReally Sun 14-Dec-14 07:53:23

Title says it all really. DD3's default setting is with hands in her undies. I mostly ignore it and don't make a big deal out of it as I know it's pretty normal. However she's making herself sore and it sometimes hurts her to wee. I generally remind her to take her hand out and she does, for a few minutes at least. For those who've experienced this, how long did it last? Should I be doing anything else (hand hygiene notwithstanding)?

Shiraznowplease Sun 14-Dec-14 08:01:07

My nearly three year old dd is doing the same. I am eagerly waiting some replies with advice as am worried she will get sore or an infection

mistymorningmemories Sun 14-Dec-14 08:02:37

Dd1 has just turned 4 and still has to be reminded a couple of times a day to take her hand out of her pants! I think all you can do is repeat "hand out" ad nauseam! Dd1 has had a couple of UTIs though that could be due to this or poor wiping (or a number of other factors!)

shelfontheelf Sun 14-Dec-14 08:05:12

I've got one of these, we just reminded her (for ages) not to do it. Shes stopped but seems to have a new default setting of finger in nose which we're now working on.

mistymorningmemories Sun 14-Dec-14 08:08:35

She does do it a lot less now though and I think when they start school and are surrounded by older children who don't do it they realise it's not socially acceptable rather than at nursery where they're all at it!

Purpleflamingos Sun 14-Dec-14 08:23:24

We have a saying here 'if you want to play with yourself because it feels nice you can have to do it in your room when you are alone'. It worked with ds. Now he says it to his little sister. It's worked so far.

pollyannagoestotown Sun 14-Dec-14 08:35:46

Same as purpleflamingos.

I assume after she has been to the loo, she washes her hands? Do the same when the hand goes down her undies - repeatedly washing hands soon gets boring. No one wants to hold hands with someone when you know where its been kind of thing .......

chan321 Sun 14-Dec-14 20:43:32

Could you try tights and dresses for a while? Might make it a bit more difficult for her and eventually stop the habit?

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 14-Dec-14 20:46:43

Mine was like this at 3. I'm sure I posted about it (would've been a different username though). We just said 'hands out' or 'hands', although did tell her she could do it in her room.

She's now 5. Never does it anymore unless she's tired. Didn't get infections or anything really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now