Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding problems at 8 months

(13 Posts)
Countryside14 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:15:49

Hi everyone.

My baby girl is 8 months and so far fully breastfed. Up until now she's been great at feeding and Ive had a great supply. I've always pumped a bit just so I've got some in the freezer and always been able to get a decent amount with a good let down. If anything it felt very strong. I'd feel tingles and in the side I wasn't feeding off I'd leak lots. Suddenly last night at re bed time feed I couldn't get one. She got a few sips of foremilk and fell asleep. I put her in bed with for the night to encourage more feeding as she fed a few times but still no let down. This morning nothing again! Her nappy feels very dry too.

What might be happening? I've not done anything different and I'm not ready to stop yet. It's upsetting me so much sad

Please help!!!

QuietTinselTardis Sat 13-Dec-14 08:20:41

I had this where the letdown feeling stopped (I never expressed and stopped leaking months ago) it came back don't worry! Can't remember why it happened if I ever knew. Dd is now 12 months and I can still feel letdown easily.

QuietTinselTardis Sat 13-Dec-14 08:21:16

Don't think it lasted more than a couple if days by thr way.

GinGinGin Sat 13-Dec-14 08:22:51

Your milk is fully established by 8 months so you won't necessarily feel a let down anymore (I know mine had disappeared by that time). Your dd might be feeling a little under the weather or just a bit "off" - it is fairly common for babies to go off boob once in a while so I wouldn't worry about it atm. Keep offering - you could always try a bit of skin-to-skin if you're concerned. Honestly though, I really wouldn't worry

Countryside14 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:37:55

Thing is she seems fine and still wants to feed as she always has but the poor thing isn't getting much at all. You know when they suck fast at the start then you get let down then the slow down and gulp? Well she's not doing that so it's like there's no let down happening at all even if I can't feel it.

When I pumped there was next to nothing either which there always is.

My worry is that after a day not so it will signal my body not to make milk so I'll dry up. I love breastfeeding but it's such a worry xx

NotQuiteCockney Sat 13-Dec-14 08:44:33

Ok, this would get more responses in Infant Feeding, FYI.

Our bodies don't generally just stop making milk, unless something big has happened. Have you started any new medications? Has there been any change in your health?

Stress can inhibit letdown, so if you can try to relax while feeding or pumping, that may help.

Countryside14 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:50:20

No change in health or circumstances.

I feed lying down when at home as it's most relaxing for us both but still nothing happened. I've tried feeding 6/7 now and it just won't happen. So distressing x

GinGinGin Sat 13-Dec-14 10:33:01

I had this after an illness I remember and I just spent over 12 hrs (overnight) skin-to-skin with dd and in the morning it was fine. Skin-to-skin is pretty amazing for boosting milk supply

Countryside14 Sat 13-Dec-14 10:42:35

That's what I plan to do all day today. It's so odd it was like nothing was happening but I knew there was milk in there. I'll keep her close by all day smile x

Sunflower1985 Sat 13-Dec-14 17:48:41

Id reiterate stress if you've ruled out other things. It can be a vicious cycle. this has advice on it

I have to always do breathing exercises to let down. Early days it mucked up my supply and we had to mix feed. But still going strong at 16mo.

Have you tried co-bathing?

Countryside14 Sat 13-Dec-14 18:04:39

I've tried lying down in bed with my eyes closed, looking at her, not thinking about it, reading and it just won't work. I wonder of there just no milk to even let down? I will bath with her tonight.

I'm so so upset this isn't how I wanted things to be. I feel so much guilt as she loves it as much as I do x

elvislives2012 Sat 13-Dec-14 18:12:50

Hi
Don't panic! You have no Idea what's going on and the old adage of 'watch the baby' is true here. You have a very well established supply and it won't dry up in a couple of days, some women still get milk production months after stopping bfing. The skin to skin will help too. If u ask for this to be moved to breastfeeding you'll find breast feeding counsellors hanging around there grin

furcoatbigknickers Sat 13-Dec-14 18:16:16

Honestly try not to worry. As has been said, you have a very strong supply at 8 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now