Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for helping a frustrated 1yo who's recovering from a nasty virus?

(11 Posts)
sianny78 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:46:03

Hi all,

My 13mo DS has had a really nasty virus this week - fever for 5 days now, totally off his food, not wanting his milk either, mostly wanting to just sleep. I think he's slowly starting to get a bit better. He's had a bit more time awake & played a bit, but he is just sooo tempremental. One minute he's happy as Larry, the next he's having a full on meltdown. I understand it's likely because he's ill & he's fed up, and he's losing his temper a lot more easily than usual (he's usually a real happy chappy who only gets like this when he's really overtired), but I just don't know how to deal with it. He is pointing around a lot as if trying to communicate that he wants something, but he's not really pointing at anything, or you try giving him what you think he's pointing at & he pushes it away & cries. I'm guessing he probably doesn't even know what he wants but it's so hard to deal with - not fun for us or him. Any help anyone can give me would be very welcome!

Thanks.

happygelfling Thu 11-Dec-14 20:55:14

Poor love!
Long walks in the pushchair? It's a change of scene, he can sleep if he wants, or watch the world go by. As long as he's wrapped up warm would it be OK? Could even brave the swings at the park if he feels up to it!

Haribolover Thu 11-Dec-14 21:07:48

DD has happily spent ages today just watching out the window at essential nothing. The odd car and bin lorry going passed were about as exciting as it got along with some snow. Cafe trip with some snacks always seem to cheer up a grumpy DD.

LongDivision Fri 12-Dec-14 11:46:26

Perhaps it's teething and he wants something to chew on? Mine always seemed to have a fever just before a tooth came in.

Seeline Fri 12-Dec-14 12:22:16

If he's not eating properly he will be low on energy which always makes me grumpy grin
Try little and often rather than set meal times to up his calorie intake. If he isn't particularly hungry a couple of mouthfuls of a proper meal will make you feel full and give up. I used to find with my DD that 6 - 8 'snacks' a day would work better in that instance. You can actually give quite a balanced diet that way - just break meals down into component parts. Otherwise - just give him what he likes.

sianny78 Sun 14-Dec-14 05:11:06

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out when he is actually recovering - turns out he was rather more poorly than the first doctor I saw realised, as he is now in hospital with pneumonia sad

Seeline Mon 15-Dec-14 08:17:05

Aww - poor little love. Still he's in the best place now, and will soon be on the mend with the right care. flowers

sianny78 Mon 15-Dec-14 08:35:46

Thanks Seeline.
Also, interesting what LongDivision said about teething - with all the crying I think I noticed he has his first molar about to break through. That can't be helping!

Buttercupup Tue 16-Dec-14 09:50:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sianny78 Tue 16-Dec-14 10:11:59

Thanks Buttercupup, I think those tips will come in very handy!
And he's definitely progressing some as he's got done appetite back & some feistiness!

Buttercupup Tue 16-Dec-14 10:26:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now