Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with an 18 month old?

(13 Posts)
TortoiseInAShell Thu 11-Dec-14 20:29:54

I'm not being PFB parent as this is my second, but I'm interested in any MNers with similar aged babies and wondered if anyone's are saying any words yet? I know they all develop in their own time but I missed out on the normal process with my first because glue ear stopped speech until just before 3 years old. That was a mighty long wait!

I'm not worried either as I know the health visitors do a routine check aged 2, but am simply interested in other people's normal experiences.

fanjobiscuits Thu 11-Dec-14 20:32:10

Similar age, says quite a few words but many partial. Eg can say mummy and daddy but 'bu' seems to mean ball, bus, bunny etc

TortoiseInAShell Thu 11-Dec-14 20:40:52

Ah that's interesting. My DS said "more!" When he wanted more food, and cackled with delight each time. But then he suddenly stopped and has never used it again! It's like he's decided he's been there and done that and can't be bothered anymore thank you very much!

massagegirl Thu 11-Dec-14 21:20:08

Same age... Saying
Daddy, ball, more, woof, bubbles, yes, no.

wintersdawn Thu 11-Dec-14 21:27:49

19 months and has a sound that means his sister but only we'd recognise it, has yes and no and mummy but no more. His sister didn't have many more at his age either but talks non stop (all the bloody time) now. Don't worry about it as long as you are naming things as you go along they get it and yes to starting using a word for a while and then going off it for some random reason.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 11-Dec-14 21:29:28

My ds is 16 months he says mum, dad, yesssss, no, catch, and kick regularly
But says random sentences maybe twice then never says it again
Like "do it again" or "want a drink"
"What's this?"
I have nothing to compare it to as dc1 and don't see a lot of kids the same age.

Annietheacrobat Thu 11-Dec-14 21:29:46

Daughter is 17 months and only says dada and mummmm. Seems to understand lots though.

HopeNope Thu 11-Dec-14 21:36:40

Same age, saying quite a few words, like teddy, mummy, daddy, nose, eyes, mouth, ball etc.

However, behaviour is another issue altogether! sad Tantrums have started if she doesn't get her way.

HelenaJustina Thu 11-Dec-14 21:54:16

DD4 (so I think has to learn to talk fast and talk loud) is 19 months and has between 50 and 60 words. A month ago she probably had 40.

She can say animal names and noises, Mummy, Daddy, Granny, all her sisters names, car, bus, baby, more, drink, book, 'read it' tea, peepo, bear, gone, body parts, door, up, down, carry, pushchair, no, yes, bubble, bath, turtle. Those are just the ones off the top of my head!

She is putting 2 words together now which she wasn't a month ago.

BUT she is the 2nd fastest speech wise of my children and having been around lots of the little darlings I'd say is ahead for her age at the moment. I know your experience with DC1 was different to normal but try not to worry, IME they all end up at the same place in the end!

Angelface5 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:10:48

My dd is 19 months only says mumma and dada and her own name and like op said she makes all different sounds for her other siblings names but only we would know what she was saying. Yet she knows everything you say or ask her.
Wouldn't worry yet I was really worried but have tried to relax and let her learn in her own time as she understands so much x

Icedfinger Fri 12-Dec-14 06:21:33

My DD is 18 months and says: mummy, daddy, me, boob!, lots of b sounding words for balloon/bubbles etc, teeth, I do it, put it there, down there, more, please, nappy, weewee.

She's quite a chatterbox at home but says very little out! We've used a bit of baby signing too so she can often get her point across.

purplemurple1 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:25:43

Little younger, almost 16 months sporadically (but in context) saying - mummy, do (dog), d (daddy), tack (thanks - swedish), ja (yes - swedish)

(DH speaks Swedish to him hence the mix of words.)

He has completly ignored all efforts at teaching baby signing though and generally just grunts, growls at us! He also seems to have selective understanding, depending on if he wants to do what we are asking!

StormyBrid Fri 12-Dec-14 08:47:31

I had an 18 month old in September. She would make attempts at about twenty different words. Online resources said 6-20 words was normal then. Then her brain just exploded into words. 21 months now, I've lost count of all the words, she's stringing a few together... They can go amazingly fast once they get it, and it's awesome to watch. Enjoy it, OP (and everyone else)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now