Talk

Advanced search

Very tall baby

(16 Posts)
WhyAspoonCousin Wed 10-Dec-14 19:32:09

Hi am new to MN, never posted before, I would like some advice from a wider community than just my weigh in centre.
I have a son, he is 6 months old and very tall, 77cm long, has anyone had any experience of this?
He is brilliant, hitting all of his milestones but I get everyone commenting on how big he is and it does worry me that something may be wrong that I don't know about, is this first born paranoia?!

DharmaBumpkin Wed 10-Dec-14 21:45:52

DD was so big she was referred to a paediatrician to be checked for growth disorders! Think she was about 76cm at 6 months so very similar. Paed was great, very reassuring, said she might even out (which she has... Age 4 is now a couple of inches taller than classmates but not double their height still!) And also stressed that I should encourage her abilities based on age not height. That is, a lot of people thought that because DD is super tall she should be super good at riding a scooter/running/insert choice of activity here. She isn't, she is average and that's fine... Just because she is tall enough to go on the big kids climbing frame doesn't mean she should though she always blimmin did

rallytog1 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:58:22

My dd was similar. The only downside I see is now she's a bit older (19mo). Because of her height, people often think she's quite a bit older than she is, and expect too much of her.

For example at playgroup not long ago, she lost her footing (as young toddlers do) and fell on to another child - the child's mother told my dd off (even though I got my poor dd to say sorry, which I think is pretty good for a 1yo!) and started telling other mums that my dd was bullying hers. When someone told her my dd was only one, she was shocked and said she'd thought she was about 3.5yo.

But as a baby it was a good thing. Healthy and sturdy!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 10-Dec-14 22:02:31

DD was off the charts for height. Still very tall now at 4. As rally says, worst side effect is everyone thinking she's a 'naughty' 6 yo instead of a bog standard 4 yo. Thankfully she is very confident and outgoing as well.

Bumply Wed 10-Dec-14 22:13:30

Ds2 was 75cm at 6 months (just looked up his chart), but he was 60cm at birth and in the same percentile as he grew, so not considered out of the ordinary. He's 12 now and 5'4", waiting to see if puberty pushes him above his brothers height (ds1 is 6' at 16).
Only issue we've had with it is the expectation of better behaviour because people thought he was older than his age.

Littlemeg37 Wed 10-Dec-14 22:24:21

My son was also a very big baby in weight and height and was referred to the pediatrician by my HV when at aged about 1 they couldn't chart his weight and height anymore cos he was off the page for 0 to 1 year olds. When he saw him his diagnosis was he was going to be a big lad grin He has just turned 13 and is 5ft 10in so he was right.

rocket74 Wed 10-Dec-14 22:28:53

My DS has been above the 99 percentile his whole life both height and therefore weight. He is 5 1/2 now but I have to buy aged 8/9 clothes. shock

WhyAspoonCousin Wed 10-Dec-14 22:56:14

Thank you everyone, both my and my DH are tall so I guess he will be too, the HV was starting to raise an eyebrow at his growth and said to "keep an eye on it"(!)
It's nice to hear about other tall small ones.

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Dec-14 16:42:20

Both of mine are very very tall - 99th centile. They get it from their father who is 6 foot 7. My 1 1/2 year old is in 3 year clothes and my 2 1/2 year old is in age 5 clothes...

You do get the problems with people expecting behaviour of an older child from them and uppity parents in the under 4s area in soft play thinking your kids shouldn't be in there and the like unfortunately.

buffythemuffinslayer Fri 12-Dec-14 14:12:53

DS grew very fast, was a long skinny baby. Then again we are 5'10 and 6'2 so no surprise there. Paed reckons he will be minimum 6'3 - wouldn't be surprised as everyone on my side is tall, cousin is 6'5, my DF was 6'4.

As others have said, the only issue we have is that people think he's 6 (he is in 5-6 clothes and is about to grow out of size 12 shoes so not unreasonable) and expect him to behave as such. He'll turn 4 in Feb! I have conversations with him about playing nicely with smaller children (who are often older than him) and actually there has been a benefit in that he is very caring towards other children and I think is quite mature for his age.

gymboywalton Fri 12-Dec-14 14:15:00

mine were the same-off the charts for height
ds1 is now 14 and 6' 4" and ds2 is just 11 and 5' 3"

BestIsWest Fri 12-Dec-14 14:31:03

DS was 61 cm at birth and always in the 99th Centile. He's now 16 and 6'5". How tall are you and your DP?
DH is not particularly tall but my brother and nephew are also 6'5".

I think there is a formula for calculating adult height from a child's height. Not sure how accurate it is though.

WhyAspoonCousin Fri 12-Dec-14 16:18:59

I am 5'8" DH is 6'2", so tall children are not out of the question!
I was a bit worried his fast growth might be an indication of something going wrong. All his peers look so small next to him, I am going to have to make sure he doesn't stomp them!

HellKitty Fri 12-Dec-14 16:23:25

Ds1 was a long skinny baby, 77cm I think. As he grew he'd get fat then shoot up, get fat then shoot up. Then he'd go through stages of bumping into things so I knew he'd need new bigger shoes.

He's 17 now, skinny as anything and 5'11.5" desperate to be over 6ft hence the 0.5 being important.

icklekid Fri 12-Dec-14 16:26:49

They don't measure babies after 6 week check here so no idea about ds but would imply no need to worry x

ApocalypseNowt Fri 12-Dec-14 16:26:53

My DD's are the same. This summer people kept asking DD1 if she was excited about starting school this september. She was 2.5yo.

Yes people expect a bit more, you get glares at the under 3/4 bit of soft play but other than that it's fine. As long as they're in proportion - no problem.

And i know I should want them to be a doctors/lawyers/accountants/etc but a part of me hopes they'll both grow to 5'10'', be supermodels and buy me a BIG house... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now